Old 02-28-2011, 02:43 AM   #1
PSSO
Casting On

Baffled!
Hi Does anyone know to decifer these instructions on a lace placemat. in the middle of the row it tells me to k1,m1, sl1, k1, but leave st. on the left hand needle,p.s.s.o, then knit 2 together using the same st as before together with the next st., . And continues with m1,K1 K2 together M1 k2together.
I am having trouble with the "leaving the stitch on left hand needle and then p.s.s.o. Please help
PSSO is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-28-2011, 06:35 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,378 Times in 3,061 Posts
The order of the instructions seems strange to me too. I think it should be: k1,m1, sl1, k1, p.s.s.o, put st back onto the left needle and then knit 2 together using this same st together with the next st, and continue. This is going to decrease the number of sts by 2 and, balanced by the m1, will give you a total decrease of 1st. The other decreases and increases balance out.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
It helps if you give us the name of the pattern and a link if possible. There may be errata online somewhere.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
PSSO
Casting On

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
The order of the instructions seems strange to me too. I think it should be: k1,m1, sl1, k1, p.s.s.o, put st back onto the left needle and then knit 2 together using this same st together with the next st, and continue. This is going to decrease the number of sts by 2 and, balanced by the m1, will give you a total decrease of 1st. The other decreases and increases balance out.
Thank you for your thoughts on this problem. I am hoping to add the pattern soon. This row appears in another lace mat that I have tried to work out which describes that "this will be referred to as dec. twice in the next 3 sts".
I did try the method you suggest but the following row soon told me that that wasn't right I will attach pattern next time. thanks again. PSSO
Old 02-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
No, please don't 'attach' the pattern, goes against copyright regulations. You can however type a few of the rows you're having trouble with. The 'dec twice in the next 3 sts' is a double decrease and what salmonmac was trying to describe. I think however if you just slip 1, k2tog, psso you should get the same decrease with a lot less trouble. I once wanted a dble decrease and did a lot of manual moving the sts around, then realized there was already a common one for it - slip 2tog, k1, psso. So you should be able to sub the sk2p for what they're describing, it's a little too klutzy.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
salmonmac (02-28-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 08:25 PM   #6
PSSO
Casting On

Hi sue
I will certainly give this a try. You do mean Slip two stitches together and pass them both over don't you?
Old 02-28-2011, 08:44 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Yes, slip the 2 sts as if to knit tog, then also pass them over together. Though I was suggesting the other one - slip 1, k2tog, psso as that will probably give you the same look as the pattern. You can do either one, but if you slip 2 tog the middle st will end up on top; if you sl1, k2tog, the right st ends up on top.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
PSSO
Casting On

Originally Posted by PSSO View Post
Hi sue
I will certainly give this a try. You do mean Slip two stitches together and pass them both over don't you?
Have attached a few lines of each pattern. I really hope this helps a little bit more. thanks
Attached Images:

Old 02-28-2011, 09:34 PM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

No I gave that one as an example of making an easy decrease into a difficult one. Sorry to have confused you.

I think the slip 1, k2tog, psso dec will be closest to what the pattern is trying to do.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:07 AM   #10
PSSO
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
No I gave that one as an example of making an easy decrease into a difficult one. Sorry to have confused you.

I think the slip 1, k2tog, psso dec will be closest to what the pattern is trying to do.
Hi again sue
I'm not sure where to start the decreasing.
On the second example that I uploaded. Would you start the, slip 1 K2together psso that you suggest, after the K1 m 1 slip 1 k1, or include that last k1 as first slip st. Sorry if I'm not explaining too well