Old 02-22-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
DebbiH
Casting On

Sub for Blue Heron yarn?
Hi there group!
Rayon metallic Blue Heron yarn ... can anyone suggest a substitute?
$44.00 is too steep for my wallet!
Thanks!
DebbiH
DebbiH is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
wellslipmystitches
Knitting the Flap

Hi and welcome,
This Blue Heron yarn is rayon - a synthetic like many others and what is the glitter content? Must be gold or platinum at that price.
C'mon! There are or should be limits to everything. The price for this stuff is beyond the limit!

You haven't said how much knit/crochet experience you have. Would like to know. I've been knitting for quite some time and I'd rather poke a dirty needle in my eye than pay anybody $44.50 for a hank of synthetic yarn!

If you want a light weight yarn with metallic highlights check out Lion Brand's "Vanna's Glamour" and "Glitterspun" About $4 - $5 a skein. Granted, they don't have as many color choices but the colors are quite nice.

Look up Lion Brand yarns and sign up free if you want to get a few thousand free patterns. More patterns and yarns at other sites too. All the mod squad people can help and direct you to lots more.

I'm a skeptic and usually say what I mean and at first thought you were joking. However, I looked up the yarn and sure enough it's real. Course it says none is available at present. Must be spun by a pregnant nun with the metallic elements pounded thin by seven little dwarfs . . . or they wait for the Blue Herons to create magic with their feathers!
Gimmee a break!! I know you can do better than this. Jean
wellslipmystitches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wellslipmystitches For This Useful Post:
DebbiH (02-28-2011)
Old 02-23-2011, 12:05 AM   #3
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to crazykntter83
That's nothing. I was browsing around online for sock yarn the other day, and saw a skein for $200. Seriously. I'll see if I can find the link for you. It's insane.
Nope it was $300. Here's the link:
expensive yarn
Old 02-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
wellslipmystitches
Knitting the Flap

You're Jenny? I have a daughter, Jennifer. Please tell me how people can be swayed and influenced to over pay for everything in the name of "RARE". I guess some people are so needy that it's financially a disaster for them to be special.

This Vicuna - actually I think the correct name is Vicuņa(sounds like VI - COON- Ya), of course, is rare and in S. America.

I recall, a long time ago when some politicians were brought down because of their craving for Vicuņa coats. Oooooh I'd never use the word BRIBE!

My question? : Why aren't we all raising Vicuņas instead of puppies and kittens? Maybe because we can't pull up a couple of Vicuņas on a "2 dog night"?
Jean
Old 02-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
suecq
1st Leg of the Journey

The Blue Heron yarn has 550 yards per skein. That is a fairly generous amount. It comes out to $.08 per yard. I like to compare the cost per yard of different yarns so I can estimate how much time I would spend knitting the yarn and better estimate the enjoyment return I am getting on my investment. (See what lengths a retired accountant goes to.)
Anyway, Blue Heron is on the more costly side and, after having used it, I would say not really worth the price. Nashua Grand Opera is a yarn that is 86% merino and has the metallic thread in it. It is slightly less expensive ($9.95 per 128 yard skein) and much much softer.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
DebbiH
Casting On

Thanks!
Originally Posted by suecq View Post
The Blue Heron yarn has 550 yards per skein. That is a fairly generous amount. It comes out to $.08 per yard. I like to compare the cost per yard of different yarns so I can estimate how much time I would spend knitting the yarn and better estimate the enjoyment return I am getting on my investment. (See what lengths a retired accountant goes to.)
Anyway, Blue Heron is on the more costly side and, after having used it, I would say not really worth the price. Nashua Grand Opera is a yarn that is 86% merino and has the metallic thread in it. It is slightly less expensive ($9.95 per 128 yard skein) and much much softer.
Thanks for the info! I have a scarf that I'm dying to crochet, and it looks fabulous done up with the Blue Heron, so I'll check out the Nashua as a substitute, especially if it's so much softer!
DebbiH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #7
wellslipmystitches
Knitting the Flap

suecq, I thank you for pointing out the yardage:cost ratio. Of course that makes a difference. The info I looked at called the size a hank which, to me, usually indicates less than a skein. I did not investigate any further due to lack of interest in purchasing the yarn nor the yarn mentioned by Jenny that's $300.

I do appreciate that you made me consider this from a different perspective and that you're honest with your opinions.

I'm painfully honest too and I still wouldn't pay that for a hank of wool, nor get enjoyment knitting with it unless the sheep came with it!! . . . and that sheep had better be able to take care of all the grass in my yard or I'd trade it for a John Deere!
And that's the truth! Jean
Old 03-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #8
suecq
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by wellslipmystitches View Post
I'm painfully honest too and I still wouldn't pay that for a hank of wool, nor get enjoyment knitting with it unless the sheep came with it!! . . . and that sheep had better be able to take care of all the grass in my yard or I'd trade it for a John Deere!
And that's the truth! Jean
I agree, and normally would not pay that much for yarn. One item was for a very special young lady for a special occassion and the other someone asked me to make and paid for the yarn.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #9
wellslipmystitches
Knitting the Flap

My dear suecq, You have no 'splainin' to do, nor do you need to quantify your motivations to me. I know nothing.

Case in point - I misspoke and talked about wool when the yarn in question was rayon with metallic highlights. Now, I'm left with a question, actually two. How many of those rayons does it take to make a skein of yarn and do they eat lots of grass?

O.K., I'm sorry. Just couldn't resist. I do the same thing to my kids all the time. When they complained about the price of soy milk compared to cow's milk I asked them if they knew how small those little soys are and suggested they go out and see how many soys they had to milk to get a half gallon of milk. They roll their eyes a lot at me and I plead guilty. Now I'll tend to my own knitting and see what I can do with some genuine, female acrylic.
Jean