Old 09-23-2007, 09:59 PM   #1
happyshineypeople
Ribbing the Cuff

Knit-Gift Idea for Teen Girl?
Hi there! First time poster, long-time (sporadic) lurker.

I want to make my almost-16 yo niece's Christmas gift this year. It has to be fairly quick and not involve miles upon miles of garter or stockinette (lest I die of boredom midway through the project).

The problem is, I'm not sure what kids like these days. (Man, I feel old. I'm only 36!)

I was thinking along the lines of a nice scarf and/or bag or .... ?? Maybe a cell phone or ipod holder? Are those "teen-girl-friendly" or would they be about as well-received as the bunny pajamas from the "Christmas Story" movie? What are the cool colors these days for teens?

The young lady in question is very smart, artistic and funky in her own way. She wears mostly dark colors, doesn't seem overly into fashion or make-up and, well, I love her and want her to have a wonderful, handknit gift this year.

So... that's that. Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks in advance
happyshineypeople is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-23-2007, 10:35 PM   #2
mrslevite
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm making Silver's Palindrome scarf in SWS natural blue for my almost 19 yo daughter.

For my 17 yo who is a little more free-style, free-spirit, artsy type, I'm spinning yarn on a drop spindle that I'm thinking I'll dye pink and purple maybe and make her a scarf or a hat - depending on how much yarn I can manage to spin.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8445.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	43919  
mrslevite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:03 PM   #3
Riss
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Riss
I think a scarf would be a wonderful gift. I just finished making this beautiful scarf...

http://oceanwindknits.ca/sectionpage...ree%20Patterns

It had just enough of a change to keep me interested.
"Super green."
-The Fifth Element

Rissymur on Ravelry
Riss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:26 PM   #4
beckyrhae
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by happyshineypeople View Post
Hi there! First time poster, long-time (sporadic) lurker.

I want to make my almost-16 yo niece's Christmas gift this year. It has to be fairly quick and not involve miles upon miles of garter or stockinette (lest I die of boredom midway through the project).

The problem is, I'm not sure what kids like these days. (Man, I feel old. I'm only 36!)

I was thinking along the lines of a nice scarf and/or bag or .... ?? Maybe a cell phone or ipod holder? Are those "teen-girl-friendly" or would they be about as well-received as the bunny pajamas from the "Christmas Story" movie? What are the cool colors these days for teens?

The young lady in question is very smart, artistic and funky in her own way. She wears mostly dark colors, doesn't seem overly into fashion or make-up and, well, I love her and want her to have a wonderful, handknit gift this year.

So... that's that. Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks in advance
Well... my daughter is 16, she is smart, very artistic and very funky cool. She wears mostly black but she is liking bright colors more and more these days.

I have made hats for her and several scarves. Her favorite scarf is red and I made it with about 10 different red yarns that were leftovers in my stash. She prefers the very skinny, very long scarves.

Hope this helps a little. (and if she is artistic and smart, she will love anything her aunt makes just for her!)

The Knitting Barista

The Sheeps Tale

KnittingBarista on Ravelry
beckyrhae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:22 AM   #5
Sunny_Singer
Knitting the Flap

My daughters are 22 and 19.
As teens... one would have loved a hand knit scarf, the other would have spurned it.
One would have thrilled at a hand knit cell phone or ipod/mp3 case and the other would have been disgusted.

I think the key would first to think about the personality of the teen, where she lives - *someone in Florida, USA probably wouldn't have much use for a scarf* for example

Bernat has these cool "black lite" colors. I was in WalMart tonight, and found a group of teen girls trying to come up with a way to use these yarns. It was fairly obvious none of them knitted or crocheted, but I did give them some tips (picture frames, dressing up a belt, decorating a mirror, and a few others). One jotted notes on scrap paper, and all 5 bought some of the yarns.

I don't know if it will help but if girls that age chose it for themselves, I figured it couldn't hurt.

I don't recall where I found it, possibly www.lionbrand.com but there was a skinny scarf, that was intended for inside wear, like to dress up a sweater or pull over shirt. It was knit in fun yarns or fake fur, which might be something a teen would like.

Good luck.

Sunny

I am one of the unlucky ones: I cannot view videos

OTN:

blanket for a man, scarf, poncho, 1 rug, baby blanket, finger puppet

2008 FO:

finger puppets: cat (2), dog, pig, frog, butterfly, bunny
Sunny_Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:37 AM   #6
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

My youngest is 22, she still loves very, very long scarves. She LOVES these fuzzy dice and I have a list of kids that one some, too. iPod/cell phone cases are always a big hit, too.

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:24 AM   #7
Brandilyne
1st Leg of the Journey

My little sister is 21 and I made her the Dream Swatch (hair wrap/scarf/belt) for her birthday. She's kinda girly though

Have you seen the cute felted sushi wallet? If she's kinda funky and artsy, maybe she would like that?

Another option would be a Booga Bag, maybe in darker shades? My sister wants a felted bag for Christmas, more of a low slung smaller version though.

You mentioned that she was athletic, is she involved in school sports? Is she the type to wear school colors?

I bet she would also like cool stripey socks You could do a basic ribbed cuff version using funky colored yarn! Those wouldn't take too long. Or maybe some fun fingerless gloves? Ooooh, I saw some cute knit boxer shorts in a book I have at home. I bet she would love those!
Brandilyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:45 AM   #8
knitgal
Working the Gusset

I'm 21 and I have a hard time finding patterns that I would like to knit for myself, let alone finding one to knit for someone else! Have you looked at anything in the Stitch and Bitch books? There are some very cute and very cool teen friendly projects and I don't think any of them would take very long. I think a scarf is a safe bet if you make it in a colour she likes. The palindrome scarf would be fun and interesting to knit and I think she's probably like it. The other option would be to give her a coupon for anything knitted and you could let her pick a pattern and the yarn. That's a good last resort I guess!

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:55 AM   #9
debinoz
Turning the Heel

My 15 yo wouldn't wear anything I made her. Period. My 13 yo dresses goth and will wear anything I make as long as it's black or mostly black.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:04 AM   #10
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
Well my almost 18 yo (in 3 weeks! YIKES!) loves the scarves I make her, but doesn't wear them often. I just crocheted a couple of purses for her that she loves. She picked out the patterns, colors, etc. I plan to make her a felted purse out of some self striping yarn for Christmas. She loves the felted tote I just finished (well almost - still working on the lining) for myself. I may do a felted wallet, change purse or something to match the purse. She would probably love an ipod cozy as well. They're all different. Some of my daughter's friends wear hats and would love one - she doesn't and would never wear it. You'll just have to think about her personality and go from there.

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote