Old 03-04-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
tarajoyandpain
Casting On

Newborn knitter using circular needles
HELP! I am a brand new knitter, following a pattern using circular needles. I am using the size specified, but after casting on the specified number of stitches, the stitches do not meet either ends of the needles. This makes it impossible for me knit in the round. What could I be doing wrong?
tarajoyandpain is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-04-2011, 01:00 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
What pattern is it? If you have a link and name it would help.

Usually that means you don't have enough stitches or your cable is too long for that number of stitches. That is important when you're knitting in the round. You said you are using the right needles, but how long is the cable..measured tip to tip of the needles.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:06 AM   #3
tarajoyandpain
Casting On

Thanks for your reply! The needles are 16", which is what the pattern called for. It is a hat pattern, which casts on with 64 stitches. I don't think 64 stitches would fit around a child's head, let alone an adult's. I ordered pdf patterns from the internet, and because I am so new at this, I am really trying to follow the pattern precisely. I'm sure this is probably too advanced for me, but I've been practicing and practicing, and I just want to actually make something!

Here are the first few lines of the pattern:
HAT:
With MC and size 6.5mm or US 10.5 needles CO
64 sts. Pm and join in the round. Rib round: * k1, p1 rep from * Work rib round 3 more times.

Last edited by tarajoyandpain : 03-04-2011 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Adding more info
Old 03-04-2011, 01:12 AM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

That sounds right for a newborn. If you're using worsted weight yarn 64 st should fit, but it's not going to fit real well. If you're using a lighter weight it may not.

I just saw the additional info. If you're using needles that large..what is the yarn weight?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 03-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #5
tarajoyandpain
Casting On

I'm sorry. I should clarify that I was calling myself a "newborn" knitter, because I have only just started to take up knitting. The hat is actually a woman's hat. The worsted weight of the yarn is 100g/3.5oz . Now, I'm not using the same yarn that the pattern asked for - is that a very big deal? (stupid question?). The yarn she used is also 100g. She does mention, "St
st
 using 
mm
(US
10.5)
needles
 with 
MC. 

Don’t

be 
afraid 
to 
go 
up 
a
 needle 
size 
to
 get
 gauge 
as 
this 
is
 aran
wool 
knitted 
loosely 
to 
a
 bulky 
gauge.
" Would it make THAT much of a difference if I went to a size 11 needle? I appreciate all your suggestions.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I suspect the yarn used is really a bulky one which would make thicker sts. The weight of the skein really doesn't tell us very much. But you can use worsted weight anyway, and don't use a larger needle. The cast on sts measure shorter than the finished item, so you may need to fudge the first few rounds. You can knit flat a couple rows, then the sts will be able to spread out around the circ so you can join them. You can cast on to another circular, doesn't matter about the length, then join and start knitting with the 16". Another method is the single loop, which shortens up the cord a little bit and you only need to do that for a couple rounds, then the sts will spread out.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Ahhh...I see. It helps when asking questions if you clarify everything in the first post. Give a pattern name and link if possible and tell us what yarn and needles you're using. It'll save a lot of trying to figure that out so we can get to the answer quicker.

Yes, the yarn can make a big difference as can needle size. If you change the yarn you need to look at the gauge numbers so they are the same or at least similar. Whether it's 50 gms or 100 gms makes no difference usually. Go by gauge (or tension).

I make a lot of hats for charity. With worsted weight yarn I usually cast on either 72 or 80 and I use a size US 7. I usually don't use a pattern, but if I do those numbers might vary a bit.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~