Old 03-05-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
okckwilter
1st Leg of the Journey

Another gauge/tension question
Before making the leap to starting a knit afghan (my first BIG project!), I spent quite some time making swatches to check my gauge and found that I needed to go up two needle sizes, from 8 to 10. I really didn't think I was knitting all that tightly but that's what it took to get the gauge right. I know that gauge isn't all that important for an afghan but I do want to learn to get it right so I can eventually learn to knit garments. Is it unusual to have to go up two needle sizes? That seems like a lot but I don't know enough about it. In case it matters, I'm using a worsted weight acrylic yarn called Impeccable from Michael's. I figured I wasn't ready to spend a lot on my first big project, not knowing how far I'd actually get with it!

Thanks for any insight you can give on gauge and needle size!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Some people are very tight knitters and may have to go up 2 sizes or more. Don't worry about what size the needle is as long as you can match the gauge. You could knit this on size 8 or 9, but your afghan would be a lot smaller, and probably stiff, rather than drapey.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,740 Times in 7,112 Posts
Everyone knits differently. I usually go down 1 or 2 sizes. I think I knit fairly loose and I just like the look of the fabric better.

For garments it's important to make gauge for size. For other things like afghans it's less important.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:07 AM   #4
TEMA
Turning the Heel

Hi Judy
I really like knitting with Impeccable yarn from Michaels. It is nice and soft... not great for socks but great for sweaters and afghans I would say... (not having ever knit an afghan in my life... ) The colours are great and the price is right...

Learning about gauge is really important... but, since you are knitting an afghan, I think you should just sit back and enjoy your knitting!

The afghan will give you lots of knitting experience and I'm thinking you can make it as long as you like... no limit... it could always become a scarf... , right?

TEMA
TEMA is offline   Reply With Quote