Old 02-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
AH1OZ
Knitting the Flap

interchangable sets
I am looking to purchase a set of interchangeable needles.

I guess I am a little picky - because I was size 2 or 3 as the smallest size, and I want short cables... I also like metal needles.

I saw one set that had went down to size 2, but the shortest cable was 16 inches

then I saw one with a 9 inch cable but the smallest size was a 5 or 6 (can't remember)

can anyone suggest a set?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-25-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

Honestly, I think most sets start with a US 4 as the smallest size and come with 24" or 32" cables to start with (although you can purchase 16" cables for many of them). I haven't seen any sets that include tips any smaller than a US 4, but I guess there must be a few out there since you found one.

As for the cables, I don't think very many people use a cable smaller than a 16" very often .... I've never even seen one (either fixed or interchangeable) in stores. Although I've seen a couple available online. The fact that not many people would ever use smaller than a 16" is probably why they aren't included in interchangeable sets (sets are meant to be versatile for the average knitter).

Another reason could be that they aren't possible to make .... I know that with the KnitPicks sets you can't get cables any smaller than a 24" because it won't work with the needle tips. Generally the tips on most interchangeable needles are a little longer, and if you try to put them on a cable that short you won't be able to actually work your knitting. I think there might be a couple of sets out there that are able to go down to a 16" cable, but I've never seen interchangeable cables any shorter than that.

Maybe someone else will be able to suggest a set that will work for you. If not, you could go with a traditional interchangeable set and then supplement with fixed circulars in the smaller sizes. If you're ONLY wanting the smaller needles/shorter cables, then maybe an interchangeable set isn't the right choice for you.
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
I seriously doubt you're going to find an interchangeable set with shorter cables or needle sizes. There is a reason for this- The needle size that comes with interchangeable sets can't be used with a cable that short. The needle length would need to be shorter and most people do not like the shorter needles for everyday use. Most people also don't like working with a circ smaller than 16 inches. And as I understand it needles smaller than size 4 don't work well for an interchangeable because they are too thin so they are made as fixed circular needles. You'll have to buy the ones you want separately.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
salmonmac (02-26-2011)
Old 03-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #4
Mamamoose
Ribbing the Cuff

the boye set has sizes 2-15, and 4 (i think) different cable sizes. I think the smallest may be 16inches. I have this set and like them a lot, and they are metal.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

I love my Knitpicks interchangeable set. The smallest size is a 4. The nice thing about them is that you can buy connectors to connect two cables together, like when you're knitting a sweater and need the extra length.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
Cathlete
Casting On

Help me decide on these. . .
I'm also looking to purchase a set of interchangeable knitting needles, but can't decide between these two:

The rainbow-colored-denise-interchangeable-needles
from knitdenise.

or

Options Interchangeable Zephyr Acrylic Circular Knitting Needle Set
from knitpicks.

Any helpful reviews are welcome, please.
Cathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
VickyS617
Casting On

You might consider the Hiya Hiya interchangeable set (try yarnbazaar.com). They are metal and come in two sets, one w/ size 2 - 8 and one w/ 9 - 15. I've heard they are nice. I don't have them yet - am waiting for a good sale. The shortest cable makes 16" but they sell individual 9" circulars. I don't think an interchangeable any shorter would work.

If you decide and get a set please post and let us know what you think of them.

Good luck.
VickyS617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Well, as pretty as the Denise needles are I'd probably go for the Options. I know plenty of people here love the Denise though so you really can't go wrong with either one.

I personally prefer the Options nickel plated myself.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:31 PM   #9
JLonier
1st Leg of the Journey

I love any of the knitpics needles. Have them all for different reasons. Very smooth joins on all of them and if there's ever a problem they're very good about replacing needles or cables.

I have the Denise set too, but just haven't used them since I bought the KP's. Nothing wrong with them other than the cable is a bit thicker than most others.

Oh, and if you learn the "magic loop" technique you won't need shorter cables.
JLonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #10
CoolWool
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm just glad you posted this thread 'cause I've been looking to buy an interchangable set myself. Heck, I've already bought four circulars for different projects and could have saved myself money in the long run by getting an interchangable set. *SIGH*

CoolWool is offline   Reply With Quote