Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2014, 03:05 AM   #1
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel
 
jinxnit55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Truckee, Calif.
Posts: 685
Thanks: 300
Thanked 289 Times in 260 Posts
Bernat Denim Style yarn
I was making a hat out of this Bernat Denim Style yarn. It is acrylic and cotton and is a blue and white marled pattern. I liked how it was looking and decided it would look good as a sweater. It's soft and I HOPE it washes well. Anybody use this yarn? If so, did it wash and wear well?
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote

 

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-22-2014, 07:49 AM   #2
salmonmac
Moderator
Mod Squad
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8,245
Thanks: 610
Thanked 3,333 Times in 3,018 Posts
I haven't used it but it does look nice. You might check out the users on Ravelry where it seems to get high marks. You could also use your hat as a bit of a test, at least of washability, if not wear. Hope to see a photo of your finished hat.
http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/bernat-denimstyle
__________________
Knitting Help Videos Here!-
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
jinxnit55 (02-22-2014)
Old 02-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Moderator
Mod Squad
 
Jan in CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 37,160
Thanks: 1,656
Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
I made my first sweater with Denim Style. I haven't worn it a lot, but tends to pill and stretch out easily. However, my sweater was too large to begin with so that may affect wear. Check the comments on the Rav link Salmonmac posted.
__________________
Jan

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:29 PM   #4
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe
 
GrumpyGramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,366
Thanks: 1,929
Thanked 3,045 Times in 2,557 Posts
I checked the Rav link and even watched Shandeh's review. I think as a sweater it could be OK. I saw people complaining of splitting, pilling, not holding it's shape. One person had a comparison of a hand washed garment and a machine washed and dried one and the hand washed one did better it seems. They were for small girls. I'd be cautious about making a sweater from it myself. I've wanted to try it, now I'm not so sure. Let us know how it works out for you, OK?
__________________
~ GG

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:35 PM   #5
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel
 
jinxnit55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Truckee, Calif.
Posts: 685
Thanks: 300
Thanked 289 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
I haven't used it but it does look nice. You might check out the users on Ravelry where it seems to get high marks. You could also use your hat as a bit of a test, at least of washability, if not wear. Hope to see a photo of your finished hat.
http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/bernat-denimstyle
Thanks! I don't know why I didn't think to look there! There are some nice finished projects. I was thinking it would be a soft sweater (wool is kind of itchy) and the yarn is relatively cheap. Sort of a practice thing, you know? I'll "think on it!"
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:37 PM   #6
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel
 
jinxnit55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Truckee, Calif.
Posts: 685
Thanks: 300
Thanked 289 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
I made my first sweater with Denim Style. I haven't worn it a lot, but tends to pill and stretch out easily. However, my sweater was too large to begin with so that may affect wear. Check the comments on the Rav link Salmonmac posted.
I can see where the stretch thing might be a factor...hmmmm.
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:38 PM   #7
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel
 
jinxnit55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Truckee, Calif.
Posts: 685
Thanks: 300
Thanked 289 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I checked the Rav link and even watched Shandeh's review. I think as a sweater it could be OK. I saw people complaining of splitting, pilling, not holding it's shape. One person had a comparison of a hand washed garment and a machine washed and dried one and the hand washed one did better it seems. They were for small girls. I'd be cautious about making a sweater from it myself. I've wanted to try it, now I'm not so sure. Let us know how it works out for you, OK?
Will do! It would make a good baby sweater as they grow out of them so quickly!
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:09 PM   #8
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe
 
GrumpyGramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,366
Thanks: 1,929
Thanked 3,045 Times in 2,557 Posts
I think you should go on it. You know something of what to expect and if you have a Saturday sweater...it's all good! You'll be warm and cozy in it. I have my first sweater for me and it's fugly! but I still pull it out and wear it sometimes because it is so comfy.
__________________
~ GG

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:33 PM   #9
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel
 
jinxnit55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Truckee, Calif.
Posts: 685
Thanks: 300
Thanked 289 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I think you should go on it. You know something of what to expect and if you have a Saturday sweater...it's all good! You'll be warm and cozy in it. I have my first sweater for me and it's fugly! but I still pull it out and wear it sometimes because it is so comfy.
Yes, I think I'll try it. A sweater is the 'next frontier' for me as far as knitting goes, so this will go into the experiment category!
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:10 PM   #10
Jan in CA
Moderator
Mod Squad
 
Jan in CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 37,160
Thanks: 1,656
Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
__________________
Jan

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Denim Yarn wannabe How-to Questions 2 06-03-2008 05:47 PM
Denim Style for Wallaby? losnana General Knitting 3 04-29-2007 10:35 PM
Have you used bernat denim style??? blueeyes28 General Knitting 4 01-22-2007 05:53 PM
Bernat denim yarn question katballet General Knitting 5 02-16-2006 12:41 PM
Denim Yarn - Any Ideas? AidanM General Knitting 5 01-31-2006 12:04 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:30 PM.