Old 03-14-2011, 06:45 AM   #1
Debbie1519
1st Leg of the Journey

What does Fold Sts. Mean
Hi Everyone
I am knitting a baby's bonnet and I've run across something I have never seen before in a pattern. Hope you can help me. I'll give you the pattern as it is only short so you can better understand.
Cast on 31 sts.
1st Row: (RS) K22. Turn. Leave rem 9 sts. unworked.
2nd Row: K22
3rd and 4th Rows: Knit to end of row.
Rep. last 4 rows until right side from beg measures 10 ins. ending with a 3rd row. Cast off.
Neck and chin Band: Fold 5 sts along front edge to RS and secure at cast on and cast off edges. Thread yarn through each sts at shorter edge (back of bonnet). Pull tightly and secure yarn. With RS of work facing, pick up and knit 42 sts along cast on and cast off edges (working through both thicknesses at each end). Cast on 14 sts. (56) sts. in total.
Knit 1 row.
I am totally at a loss when it comes to the neck and chin band. I just don't understand what I'm supposed to do. Please Help

Debbie
Debbie1519 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-14-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
Mirl56
Instepping Out

does the pattern have a name and a picture on line? I'd like to see it to help understand how it's supposed to look.

Even though it's short, it's probably not a good idea to type out the whole pattern - copywrite issues being what they are. If you can link to the pattern on line that's best.

Sounds like a cute hat-

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks

Last edited by Mirl56 : 03-14-2011 at 11:13 AM. Reason: cause I'm a goofy speller!
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
Debbie1519
1st Leg of the Journey

No, its in the Bernet Traditions pattern book and I'm really stumped. The picture in the book looks quite simple. It looks like it has a turned up edge and a strap that comes under the chin. (That's what it looks like - I thought it was going to be quite simple.
Debbie
Old 03-14-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,417 Times in 3,097 Posts
"Neck and chin Band: Fold 5 sts along front edge to RS and secure at cast on and cast off edges. Thread yarn through each sts at shorter edge (back of bonnet). Pull tightly and secure yarn. With RS of work facing, pick up and knit 42 sts along cast on and cast off edges (working through both thicknesses at each end). Cast on 14 sts. (56) sts. in total."

I think that the cast on and cast off edges are the lower part of the bonnet around the neck. One garter st edge is the front and one garter st edge is the back. Perhaps the fold is at 5 sts in from the front edge? It's secured to the bonnet so it won't flop forward by a some tacks with thread or yarn. The opposite edge is gathered for the back of the bonnet which also brings the cast on and cast off edges next to each other. Then you pick up along that now continuous cast on/cast off edge. It makes sense then that near the turned back portion, you'd need to pick up and knit through a small section of 2 layers of your work (i.e. the bonnet and the turned back edge).
I assume the extra 9sts from the beginning steps and the 14 sts at the end are part of the strap but I think I'd need to try an abbreviated version on needles to see.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
Mirl56
Instepping Out

http://www.bernat.com/patternbook.php?PBS=530187
I found this book, but I don't see a hat that looks like I think yours does.

I'm imaging it to look something like this hat, w/out the ribbing - but this basic shape from the neck up the back, over the head.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/aviator-hat-3

I think you're folding the cast off edge back about an inch or so (however long 5 rows is), and tacking the sides to each other. The cast on edge being the back of the neck and the cast off edge being folded back about an inch. The neck edge is then gathered enough to fit around the back of the baby's neck, say back of ear to ear. This section should be short/long enough to pick up the 42 stitches and the cast on 14 will create the strap that fits under the baby's chin. Knit 1 row and then cast off. Is there instruction to put a button and loop or snap at the end of the 14 stitch extentions so it can hook to the toher side of the hat?

Does any of this make sense?

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Old 03-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
Debbie1519
1st Leg of the Journey

The set is in the Bernat Traditions Book. Its the Preemie Garter Stitch Set, if that helps.

debbie
Old 03-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #7
Mirl56
Instepping Out

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...ter-stitch-set
I was able to enlarge the pic at the ravelry site. Still not a very good picture of it.

I thought there were short row ends at both sides but now realize they are only on one end. Salonmac is right - the cast on edge and the bind off edge form the back of the neck edge. the picked up stitches go across that area and the extra cast on stitches form a strap that goes under the chin.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks