Old 03-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #1
Abililoa
Casting On

Spiral Scarf - turning
Hello,
I need help - I have a pattern for a spiral scarf. The instructions tell me to "K2, turn (so that there remains 21 sts on left hand needle)" then row 2 "K2." I understood that to mean that I should turn my work (switch hands). However, when I looked up the author's definition of "turn" it included an extra step: so that before I actually turn I should "take yarn underneath needle to be on wrong side, slip stitch on left needle to right needle. bring yarn back into correct position then slip stitch back to left needle. then turn...." I'm not sure why they're telling me to move my yarn underneath the needle? and then back again? what is this achieving? Should I take it to mean that they want me to "reverse/turn around a stitch" on the left needle? any help much appreciated
Abililoa is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-14-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
You're wrapping the stitch for a short-row shaping. By slipping the stitch and bringing the yarn around it and putting it back, you avoid holes where you turn.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
IndyPurl (03-15-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 10:26 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
That's 'wrap' and turn and if the pattern doesn't say to do it and it's garter stitch, you really don't need to. I've found it looks a lot messier to do this in garter stitch, while for stockinette it helps. So you don't need to do it for this scarf, but try it both ways and see which looks better to you.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:45 PM   #4
Abililoa
Casting On

Originally Posted by Ingrid View Post
You're wrapping the stitch for a short-row shaping. By slipping the stitch and bringing the yarn around it and putting it back, you avoid holes where you turn.
Thanks Ingrid - but just to be clear (and forgive me, I'm a newbie to knitting) where is my yarn going before I slip the stitch? I don't quite understand "underneath the needle" (from the pattern.)
Old 03-14-2011, 10:46 PM   #5
Abililoa
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
That's 'wrap' and turn and if the pattern doesn't say to do it and it's garter stitch, you really don't need to. I've found it looks a lot messier to do this in garter stitch, while for stockinette it helps. So you don't need to do it for this scarf, but try it both ways and see which looks better to you.

Thanks Suzeeq - I will try both ways.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:49 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I misunderstood your first post and thought you had got the wrap instructions somewhere else; 'under the needle' is the same as 'between the needles' rather than over them. The yarn will wrap around the slip st.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:15 AM   #7
Abililoa
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
I misunderstood your first post and thought you had got the wrap instructions somewhere else; 'under the needle' is the same as 'between the needles' rather than over them. The yarn will wrap around the slip st.
Thanks again - think I've got it now!