Old 03-17-2011, 06:11 AM   #1
interhawk
Casting On

Help with a YO immediately after a wrap at the start of a short row
I am workking on this pattern from knitty.com
knitty.com/ISSUEsummer04/PATTpetitchou.html
I am having trouble with the Hipster, on the back section, in the transition between rows 8 and 9.

Row 8 seems to be creating a short row, it ends with the following sequence:
1) slip 1 stitch to the right needle as if to purl
2) bring yarn back (last stitch previously was a purl so yarn is in front)
3) slip the stitch back on to the left needle
4) bring yarn front (completing the wrap)
5) turn

After turning the work, the yarn is now in the back.
The first instruction for Row 9 is a Yarn Over.
When I do a yarn over, it basically undoes step 4) above, that is, the stitch is no longer completely wrapped all the way around.

I'm not quite sure what to do with this. The best idea I've had so far is to wrap the yarn all the way around the needle (bring the yarn from the back, over the right needle to the front and then in between the needles to the back) but this creates a "backwards" leaning stitch.

This is my first time doing short rows so I don't know if not having the stitch wrapped all the way around is a problem or not, or if the "backwards" stitch is ok or not.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
interhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-17-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

It is unusual to see both a wrap and a YO done at the end of a short row. It is usually one or the other (Unless they are using the wrap for the short row, and the YO for an actual increase). Be that as it may, I would do the following.

After you turn the work and the yarn is in the back, bring the yarn forward between the needles to the front, then over the right needle to the back. Now knit if the first stitch is to be knit. If the first stitch is to be purl, bring the yarn forward again between the two needles, then purl.

Last edited by RochesterKnitter : 03-18-2011 at 10:07 AM.
RochesterKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
interhawk
Casting On

Yeah, I figured this was unusual.
Given the rest of the pattern, I believe the intent is to start a short row, and the very first thing afterwards is an increase with the YO.

What you suggested was what I tried first, the problem is that moving the yarn between the needles to the front undoes the second part of the wrap.

From the videos I've seen of short rows, it seems that this part of the wrap is important when you come back to work the wrapped stitch since you have to pick it up and knit it together with the wrapped stitch.
interhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

I don't think the YO should be undoing your wrap. The wrap is held in place by the stitch that you slipped and then slipped back, putting the yarn between the next two stitches on your left needle before turning.

After the turn, the wrap is now between the first two stitches on your right needle and won't be touched. You should be able to move the yarn between your needles and over your right needle without disrupting the wrap.
RochesterKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,115 Times in 2,828 Posts
I think the thing to try is to wrap, turn, and do the yo by bringing the yarn over the right needle first, then back between the needles to the back. That keeps the wrap from unwrapping (so to speak).
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote