Old 03-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
LexiF
Casting On

Sewing Blanket Squares Together
Hello everyone. *smiles and waves*

I am a semi-experienced knitter, but cannot crochet, and have a fear of sewing. I can do a 3 needle bind off but that's no good for what I'm working on and I really need advice and help from someone who knows what they're doing (unlike me!).

I have knitted four squares to be sewn together into a baby blanket, and I am completely at a loss as to how to sew them together.

Things I assume you may need to know in order to help me out:

- I do not want there to be an actual seam (i.e. any kind of ridge).

- It does not matter if the stitched parts are visible (they are bound to be anyway, due to the multicoloured yarn I am using), they don't have to blend exactly, but I wouldn't like it to look messy.

- The joins must be strong enough to withstand machine washing.

- The squares are knitted in moss stitch.

- I'm not sure whether this will make life more difficult, as I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to sewing, but it occurs to me that I may have complicated matters for myself for knitting in moss stitch, but casting on and binding off in knit.

- I will be sewing them together at opposites to each other, if that makes any sense (they are stripy, so I mean that if the top left square has horizontal stripes, I want the top right and bottom left squares to have vertical ones, and the bottom right to have horizontals - I hope this makes sense).

- Obviously I do not have the same number of rows as stitches, but they are exactly square pieces.

Any help anyone can give me would be very much appreciated, particularly if you can link me to diagrams or tutorials for what you suggest.

Thank you ever so much,

Lexi
LexiF is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
Mirl56
Instepping Out

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips
There are some seaming tips and a matress stitch video at the bottom of this page. Hopefully something here will be helpful.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
LexiF
Casting On

Mirl56, thank you very much for the link. Unfortunately it seems as though mattress stitch leaves a ridged seam on the back of your work (this is how it appears on the video, please correct me if I'm wrong), and kitchener stitch requires pieces not to have been bound off (my squares are all squares, off needles, and I need to join sides to tops and bottoms, not just sides to sides). I appreciate your response very much but sadly I haven't found a workable method there.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Getting a bit worried that I might actually be attempting the impossible here, but I feel as though with the huge knowledge base here someone must have a trick I can use?

Thanks guys,

Lexi
LexiF is offline   Reply With Quote