Old 03-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
med98
Casting On

I Think I Dropped a Stitch :/ Help!
I am working on fingerless gloves and on the thumb increases and I think I may have dropped a stitch, but I am not 100%. This is my first time knitting these or something like it with the increases and I am just not sure what it's supposed to look like, but it looks weird. It looks like there's a stitch missing?? Is there a way to fix a dropped stitch?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Count your sts to see that you have the correct number; if not, check to see if there's an empty loop. That would be a drop st, but if you don't find one and are missing a stitch, you probably forgot an inc. If you have a hole but there's a stich over it, then you probably did a yarnover which can be an increase. Since you don'[t want the hole, when you get to it, take it off the needle and turn it so there's a twist in it, then knit it and that makes the inc with no hole.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
med98 (03-29-2011)
Old 03-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

What kind of increase did you use on the thumb? If you didi a M1 it may look like there is a small hole in the work, but this is NOT a dropped stitch.
If you trully have a dropped stitch, then when you pull apart the two rows on either side of where you think there is a dropped stitch, then it will unravel further down. If, this happens then check out the tutorial here on picking up dropped stitches. That, or if you are still able frog back on the thumb, and re-work it.
RochesterKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
med98
Casting On

I will start with counting the sts and see where I am at. I am pretty green still, so I don't know all the lingo yet but I am at the hole now and the yarn is straight across, so should I pick that up and twist it like you said and knit it as normal?
Old 03-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #5
med98
Casting On

Originally Posted by RochesterKnitter View Post
What kind of increase did you use on the thumb? If you didi a M1 it may look like there is a small hole in the work, but this is NOT a dropped stitch.
If you trully have a dropped stitch, then when you pull apart the two rows on either side of where you think there is a dropped stitch, then it will unravel further down. If, this happens then check out the tutorial here on picking up dropped stitches. That, or if you are still able frog back on the thumb, and re-work it.
Hmmm, well it's not unraveling...

Oh and yes I used M1 for the increase
Old 03-29-2011, 03:16 PM   #6
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

You can pick up that bar and twist, just remember that in doing so you are increasing via a M1, so you will either need to do a k2tog to balance it by decreasing 1, or skip an increase on the next row, just to keep the stitch count correct.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

Oh, wait are you using dpns?

Are you sure this isn't a ladder between dpns?
Old 03-29-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
med98
Casting On

You can pick up that bar and twist, just remember that in doing so you are increasing via a M1, so you will either need to do a k2tog to balance it by decreasing 1, or skip an increase on the next row, just to keep the stitch count correct.
Ok, actually I was mistaken the M1 was on another project I worked on over the weekend :P No, this was an increase using knitting the front and back of stitch.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:30 PM   #9
med98
Casting On

Oh, wait are you using dpns?

Are you sure this isn't a ladder between dpns?
Yep, DPN's and IDK what a ladder is
Old 03-29-2011, 03:38 PM   #10
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

A "ladder" is when you are working on dpn's, and at the place between the last stitch on one dpn and the first stitch on the next dpn you get a slight lengthening of the bar between the two stitches. Over time, when you look at that area you see a whole row of long bars that look like ladder rungs.
If the gap you have is not at the needle intersection, and is only one, then it is probably not a "ladder"