Old 03-31-2011, 10:43 PM   #1
Eeabbott
Casting On

Placing stitches on holder...& then continue knitting...?
Hello...

I seem to be stumped with something that is probably very basic re: the shaping of the neck for a baby sweater...but I have come so far along with this thing that I am simply afraid of totally messing the whole thing up...

The instructions state: continue the armhole decreases, place first 4 stitches of next two rows on holders, then decrease 1 st. each end every other row 2 times.

Now...my quandary is: Do I knit those first 4 sts. and then place them on the holder? Or am I to place them on the holder and then break the yarn?? And continue on knitting with new yarn?? (which isn't making a whole lotta sense to me...)

I would so appreciate any clarification around this... My sense is this pattern is meant for well-seasoned knitters...who simply 'know these things'...

Thanks so much...
Eeabbott is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-31-2011, 10:54 PM   #2
elyse422
Casting On

sorry im not going to be much help here.. but in patterns i have come across using stitch holders if you were required to knit the stitches first it would say something along the lines of " K4 sts, Place these 4 sts on holder"

Sorry not much help
elyse422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:05 AM   #3
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Yes, I would knit the 4 then place them on the holder and continue across with the same yarn. Turn work 4 and place those on the holder and continue across. Some patterns spell everything out real well and others don't. It would be too much hassle to break the yarn two times to accomplish this so I'm sure this is what they mean.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:24 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yes, work the sts first, then place on holders. Ignore them after that, dec on the sts just inside the ones on the holders.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:03 AM   #5
Eeabbott
Casting On

Yes...that makes absolute sense...thanks so much. This pattern truly, unfortunately for a still-very-much-needing-to-be-walked-thru knitter as myself, assumes a lot...

...glad I got you folks...

Appreciate it...
E.
Eeabbott is offline   Reply With Quote