Old 04-04-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
cpaparelli
Casting On

star rib mesh help!
hi everyone! i'm working on the star rib mesh scarf pattern from knittingcentral, but having some trouble. i'm very, very new to knitting, and need some help.

a) i started with 21 stitches, and for whatever reason, i am now at about a billion. 21 fit the pattern perfectly, but i can't figure out how to purl the next row. do i purl all 33 stitches? there are 6 groups of four stitches that seem to be in groups because of the last knit stitch....stitch two of them instead? that would add up to 21... but which 2?

b) i am knitting this without the border. will it turn out awful/at all?

ps, i can't post links yet. google "Star Rib Mesh Cashmere Scarf Knitting Pattern" and the pattern should pop up.
cpaparelli is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You need to go back to where you had 21 sts, that's way too many. The pattern itself calls for 25 sts, and the repeat is over 4 sts. The border is actually 9 sts, not 4 - 5 at the beg of the row and 4 at the end that's the sl 1, p1 k1 twice. It's probably a good idea to keep the extra sts in because that helps keep the scarf from curling.

Let's just go to R 2 which is the lace pattern row -
Sl 1, (p1, k1) twice, *yo, sl 2 knitwise, k1, p2sso, yo, k1; rep from *, end (p1, k1) twice

On this row, slip the first st (or knit it) p k p k, then * YO slip 2 sts as if to k2tog, k1 st and pass the 2 sl sts over it, yo, k1. Repeat everything from the * You have 2 YOs, but the dec is a double one so your sts should be the same.

Watch that at the beginning of your rows that you have the yarn held out a little at the side. If it goes to the back over the top of the needle that makes an extra stitch.

Row 4 is similar, but it's offset from row 2, starting at the middle of the lace pattern.
Sl 1, p1, k1, p1, ssk, yo, k1, *yo, sl 2 knitwise, k1, p2sso, yo, k1; rep from *, end yo, k2tog, (p1, k1) twice.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
cpaparelli
Casting On

i'm knitting this without the border though. the following is the pattern it's based off of. no matter how hard i tried, it didn't work out, so i tried to de-border the pattern i posted previously.

Multiple of 4 + 1

Rows 1 and 3 (WS): Purl
Row 2: k1, *yo, sl 2 knitwise, k1, p2sso, yo, k1; rep from *
Row 4: ssk, yo, k1, *yo, sl 2 knitwise, k1, p2sso, yo, k1; rep from *, end yo, k2tog

i just don't understand how it decreases, or offsets, or anything. i'm completely confused.
cpaparelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
The YOs increase the 2 sts that the sl2, k1, psso decreases on row 2. On row 4 there's a ssk and yo at the beg of the row, and yo, k2tog at the end. The YOs add a st, the decs take it away.

The lace repeat which is the same on both rows - yo, sl 2, k1, psso, yo, k1 - takes 4 sts to make and you end up with 4 sts. A YO is just a wrap around the needle, not a wrap and extra k1.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote