Old 04-06-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

I Want To Move To Florida. Does anyone live there?
Hi! That's it. I am done with the north. I want to move to florida.
I've lived in New York city since the 1970's and enough is enough.

I've been looking at real estate sites. My mother-in-law lives in Ft. Lauderdale so I'm sort of liking it there but it may be too crowded.
I'm also considering the Charleston area but all I know is, my bones need to SWIM or I'm not going to be able to walk in a few years.

Just wondering if anyone lives down there, moved down there, has any pros or cons to mention. Oh, and the really weird thing is we now have 4 cats so no condos.

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-06-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,645 Times in 7,047 Posts
Quote:
Just wondering if anyone lives down there...
No, it's one of the completely empty states. Your MIL must be a figment of your imagination.

Just kidding! I'm sure there are a lot of members there. I'm sure you'll get a few responses at least so be patient. You can also do an advanced member search so you might give that a try. Some people are probably not active anymore, but I know a few are.

I just did a quick search and found quite a few using Florida as the location.
aprilbetty
Breezed
cindycactus
daylilydayzed
Debbie

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #3
Debbie
Working the Gusset

We live in Orlando, about 5ish hours from Ft Lauderdale. There are lots of small towns in Florida, several close to Ft. Lauderdale. The big problem would be finding a job that pays well.
Ft. Lauderdale, like most large Florida cities tends to "GROW' by thousands and thousands of people during tourist seasons.

I am DebbieKnits on Ravelery
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #4
Breezed
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Breezed
I live in Fort Myers, FL. I LOVE Florida. I came here on vacation almost 9 years ago, and well...I seriously just never left. I had all my stuff boxed up and delivered to me. Fort Myers is not a bad location. It doesn't have as much tourist appeal as say Orlando/Tampa or Miami, yet it is no more than a 2-3 hour drive north, south, or east to get somewhere to do larger scale events, sites, etc.

As for cats, you'd be surprised how pet-friendly most places are now. I have always had 2-3 pets, dog and cats, and I have never had a problem renting anywhere.

The only con to Florida is the obvious...hurricanes. I've been through a few, and even lost my house in Hur. Andrew, but that's still not enough to make me leave. I love the beach, the almost non-stop sunshine, and everything is just so clear out here.

Breezed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #5
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

That's sweet of you jan! thanks, appreciate it!

Old 04-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Thanks Debbie! I've never been to Orlando. Drove through Titusville 2 Christmas' ago.

Breezed! Yeah, you're making me drool. We got close to Ft. Myers a couple years ago when we were in Naples. It looked pretty impressive. Not all the big crowds around Ft. lauderdale and Miami. (I do not want to be too near to Miami!)

That is so funny you had all your stuff boxed up and sent down! Ha.
You know, I never thought I'd want to live in florida. Have been going down to visit for 20 years or more, just short little stays. It's finally come round, and I think of it everyday. It's so gray here and just, not good for when you are entering your 60s. (well, I'm not there yet, but getting close)

I want to be around all that lush foliage and sun, yes yes yes.

Last night on the news was the announcement we will have many more rats this summer because they cut back on pest control.

Thanks for posting!

Old 04-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
I lived in the West Palm Beach area for 6 years and Orlando for a few months. I liked it and believe that you will enjoy living in Florida.

A couple of things to consider, Florida is a long state and North Florida is similar but different from the far south. From Orlando down the center of the state is about swamp (generalization yes) and very humid. As you get closer to the beach area the humidity is offset by an almost constant breeze.

The East coast is more of the tourist attraction then the west coast but that is changing. The Ocean on the East coast has waves and the West Gulf coast has less or no waves. I can remember walking about 1/4 mile off the beach on the Gulf side before the water came to my waist.

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #8
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Thanks Cris. Interesting about the breezes and waves. Never thought about that. Much better than humidity!

Old 04-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
Daylilydayzed
Turning the Heel

I live in Lakeland in Polk County which is in the middle of the state. I am half way between Tampa on the West coast and Orlando in the east along the I 4 corridor. It is closer to Tampa by about 10-15 miles . Our industries are agriculture (oranges and cattle ) I was born in Ohio but my parents moved to FL before I turned @ years old. I have been here most of my life(52 years ) .
Old 04-08-2011, 12:44 PM   #10
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by VictoiseC View Post
Thanks Cris. Interesting about the breezes and waves. Never thought about that. Much better than humidity!
HI..This is sooo funny, cuz I had a visit with (last week) some relatives who live in Hudson (umm somewhere in the general vicinity of Tampa) and I came home (to Ohio/snow) wondering if I would like to live in Florida..although I have been in Orlando middle of July and think NO WAY...but I didn't consider areas with "ocean breezes"...honestly, I thought Tarpin Springs was rather nice with a very nice ocean beach. Although the day after I got home, Tampa had a severe storm, tornadoes!!!

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote