Old 04-08-2011, 11:54 PM   #11
Daylilydayzed
Turning the Heel

Yes we here in Lakeland got that same weather that Tampa did. A small tornado went through the elementary school' behind my house, went through the playground and parents pickup driveway where it took down one of the trees on the end on the other side of the school from my crossing area.I am the school crossing guard for that school and I had just gotten off duty about 30 minutes before it hit here.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-11-2011, 07:39 PM   #12
cindycactus
Turning the Heel

I grew up in Tampa and have relatives living there now. I now live in North Florida along the coast. Small fishing town. I think I love it here more. We do get cold weather in the winter months but "NO SNOW"!! We get the breezes from the water in the summer and are some days 10 degrees cooler than Tallahassee. We do get tourists but ours come in the summer. It all just depends on what you like.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #13
flhusker
Casting On

I also live in Lakeland. A really nice community. There are lots of smaller communities (towns) in this part of the state as well as elsewhere. I love it here. We moved from Michigan almost 20 years ago and have never regretted it. Hubby's job moved us here. We are both now retired.

Finding jobs here, as well as anywhere else is tough. In the winter we have 'snowbirds' - those that come down just for the winter months every year. In the summer we have lots of tourist but that's not so bad because it creates jobs in the tourist industry.

There are only two other things to think about - hurricanes and bugs. Florida has lots of bugs everything from Palmetto Bugs (looks like a Roach only bigger), Fireants (the bite really stings), etc.

But we love living here. As with any other state we have our issues but we learn to live with or around them.

flhusker
flhusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:32 AM   #14
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Don't forget the Geckos, the little lizards. When DSWMBO&A (Dear She Who Must Be Obeyed & Adored = wife) and I first moved to Florida she did the neatest little gecko dance. The nearest ATM was on the side of the bank and not a drive up. There were overhead trees and bushes around the walk. Picture a pretty lady putting her ATM card in the machine while at the same time trying to look in all directions at one time. Look left, look right, look up, look down, check the ground, glance to the railing on the left, now the bush on the right all in one fluid motion.

She knew the geckos were ganging up and ready to attack her. After about a year she forgot about the little lizards.

However, while she was dancing I could barely stop laughing.

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #15
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

cacunn, that is hilarious! I love that picture of her dancing, the gecko dance! Strangely enough, I think they're cute, they don't bother me. Now those big bugs yuk. And I've seen the line of ants too, boy do they come out quick if you leave cat food on the floor

FLhusker.... I was born in Michigan. Owosso, near Flint & Lansing.
My parents and sisters moved down there also, but then they moved on to Arizona.

Thanks for replying, cindycactus too.... funny, I don't mind snow I just hate the long grayness of Jan/Feb/March. Even now it's still gray although yesterday was so beautiful people were practically dancing, 75 degrees. Then right back to cold wet today.

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:40 AM   #16
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Another thing I remember from South Florida is the rains. During the rainy season you could almost set your clock by the start of the afternoon rain. It would not last long but every day at about the same time you would get some rain. It was also fun to be driving on one of the flat straight roads and see the wall of rain up ahead. It was as if someone had drawn a line on the road and said that it could only rain on that side of the line and not the other.

I've seen this in other places but with the flatness of south Florida it is easier to see.

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #17
Daylilydayzed
Turning the Heel

The last really raining season we had was in the late 1970's and early 80's then a 4 year drought happened. Since then we do not get the really rainy days that you could set your watch by.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #18
Kaniki
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to Kaniki Send a message via MSN to Kaniki
I live in South Florida! north of Ft Laurderdale though. I live up in Palm Beach, which is a lot less crowded than down there, but even I want to get a bit farther north! It's not that bad down here really, as long as you can handle the ridiculous heat, and when its raining it will only rain on one side of the road while it's still sunny and all on the other. (Not even kidding haha) But it hasn't been that bad rain or storm wise in yeeeears. We have gotten quite lucky really.
Kaniki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:39 PM   #19
MomoKnits
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Kaniki View Post
I live in South Florida! north of Ft Laurderdale though. I live up in Palm Beach, which is a lot less crowded than down there, but even I want to get a bit farther north! It's not that bad down here really, as long as you can handle the ridiculous heat, and when its raining it will only rain on one side of the road while it's still sunny and all on the other. (Not even kidding haha) But it hasn't been that bad rain or storm wise in yeeeears. We have gotten quite lucky really.
i'm in west palm! (and <3 FMA). We don't get the afternoon rain so much as several days of rain after a drought. Damned global climate change.

It is really hot, but most places are air conditioned (ICY sometimes) so it's better. I lived in NY with NO AC in my house and it was pretty dreadful.

But the bugs! I HATE palmetto bugs with a passion. They're dreadful and huge and the females fly! I'm allergic to fire ants so if I get a bit, it gets red and huge and itchy and burny. Just avoid the hills.

Has anyone noticed the invasion of the golden orb weavers? They're everywhere!
MomoKnits is offline   Reply With Quote