Old 03-10-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
Microwench
Casting On

Knitting to Quit (smoking that is!)
Anyone else use knitting to quit smoking?

I have been a half-pack a day smoker for 5-6 years now. Had a bad cold last week that really knocked me on my butt. I realized after a couple days sick that I hadn't smoked at all. Decided to take it as an opportunity and ride with it.
Nabbed some niccotine gum and my knitting, and I have only had 2 cigs since last Thursday!

You can't smoke while you are knitting! Hands are full, and you need to focus. I have ADHD and need something to keep my mind and hands occupied non-stop, knitting is the PERFECT solution!

Anyone else?
Microwench is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Congratulations! Anything you can do to quit is good! (I don't smoke, but my DH did so I know quitting is very hard!)

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,293 Times in 2,979 Posts
Keep it up! That's great news. You'll end up free of cigarettes and have lots of lovely knitted pieces. All the best!
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #4
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

I sympathize. I'm trying to cut down and hopefully quit. If it helps, think about all the yarn you could buy if you didn't buy cigarettes. Maybe a visit to Knitpicks' yarn section would be a good motivator.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #5
Microwench
Casting On

Originally Posted by fatoldladyinpjs View Post
I sympathize. I'm trying to cut down and hopefully quit. If it helps, think about all the yarn you could buy if you didn't buy cigarettes. Maybe a visit to Knitpicks' yarn section would be a good motivator.
Yep! That is exactly my line of thought. I bought myself a new pair of needles and some new yarn last night, I spent what I would normaly spend every Friday on cigs.

PM me if you want to quit together, extra support is always good!
Microwench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
margz3
Working the Gusset

Good for you!! I keep up the good work

OTN

socks (still!)
dishcloths
baby afghans
HAP items

margz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #7
TrueIconoclast
1st Leg of the Journey

How funny that you posted this right as I'm quitting smoking too lol.

I'm trying to use knitting to quit smoking, but it's actually more of a motivation. What I absolutely hate is when I'm working with a light colored yarn, and I forget to wash my hands after I've smoked, and 9 or 10 rows down I start to notice a pesky little nicotine stain on my yarn. I have to generally wash all of my projects after I'm done with them, because I knit for charity, and not only do I not want my stuff to have residual nicotine stains on them, but I also don't want to donate a whole bunch of smelly items (my apartment complex actually requires that we all smoke INDOORS because of the layout of the apartment, so all of my things smell like smoke, regardless). I know that a lot of homeless people smoke, but I prefer to leave it up to them to make their clothes smell like cigarettes if that's what they want lol.

Anyways, we're in it together!!!!

Also, here's a good tip: when I was in the hospital as a minor, they obviously wouldn't let me smoke. To counteract the withdrawals, they gave me 6 - 10 B complex vitamins a day. It was a little much, but if you take 2 B-Complex, it will help with the headaches and also the fatigue.
You'll still have physical cravings, but at least you won't be doubled over in pain while falling asleep standing up lol.

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely." - John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton
http://www.ravelry.com/people/TrueIconoclast

TrueIconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
TrueIconoclast
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by fatoldladyinpjs View Post

OMG how doubly funny! I asked my boyfriend the other day, "So, if I really quit, can I get a few skeins of this cashmere/wool blend from knitpicks.com?"

$6 something for a skein of the above mentioned yarn......

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely." - John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton
http://www.ravelry.com/people/TrueIconoclast

TrueIconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #9
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
How much are cigarettes these days? (I haven't smoked since 1973) I guess I could google that...
just wait...I'll check....hmmm...

....well, it's hard to find...but this is what I saw for the State in which I live, and this was published in 2009:

May 4, 2009 ... A pack of premium cigarettes in Washington now costs at least $7, which adds up to more than $2500 a year for pack-a-day smokers...

Well what's my point already, you ask? I want you to go get yourself a piggie bank...and on every other day, instead of giving your cigarette money to Safeway, put $7 in your piggie bank. You smoke 1/2 pack a day? $3.50 a day by 2009 Washington State prices. Put that money in the piggie bank and call it your KNITTING & YARN FUND!

Use your smoking money to purchase quality yarn! Yarn that you wouldn't purchase anyways. Or, purchase a set of Addi CLICKS interchangeables! Or, purchase the full set of BOTH KnitPicks OPTIONS and Harmony's! Use your smoker money for a luxury knitting item! A wooden swift and ball winder! A professional blocking board! A new Namaste knitting bag!

Every time you use your new Addi CLICKS, or wooden swift & ball winder, or any LUXURY knitting item...think to yourself: "This could have gone up in smoke!"

If you are just 1/2 pack-a-day smoker, you will collect $105 in your YARN FUND each and every month! ($1,260 per year!) With that kind of knitting cash stash, you could really go hog wild at next year's Stitches, with classes and yarn!

I didn't mention anything about the health benefits of a non-smoking life. You know all that. Wish my mother had realized the benefits. She died at age 46 of smoker's lung cancer. It was ugly.

And best wishes to you and your resolve to quit smoking! Your family will bless you for doing it for them, if not for yourself!

Now go get that piggie bank set up!

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 03-11-2011 at 08:07 PM.
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
TrueIconoclast (03-20-2011)
Old 03-11-2011, 08:38 PM   #10
SBG
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to SBG
I never smoked really, but knitting cured me of my lifelong nail biting habit.