Old 04-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
AKARonnieTorres
Casting On

Problem with knitting in the round
I've used this site for help several times but this is my first time posting a question myself. This may be a dumb question but I cannot figure out what I did wrong.

I'm attempting to knit my first pair of toe-up socks on DPNs. I used the magic cast-on, which seemed to go just fine. I was happily knitting away when, several rows later, I noticed that my stitches were starting to look different. The first half of the work was stockinette but the last portion was starting to look like reverse stockinette. How the heck could this happen if I had been using the knit stitch all along? Is it possible that I flipped one of the needles somehow? I would really appreciate any insight. I'd really hate to make this mistake again!
AKARonnieTorres is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
That can happen when you've set the work down and picked it up later and you started knitting on the inside of the circle.

Make sure that when you hold the circle of knitting that you are knitting on the outside. The needles will be closest to your body and the circle of knitting will be away from your body. This applies even in ML. Another thing to check is that the yarn is coming from the right needle because if you don't and you start knitting backward you'll also end up with a hole.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #3
AKARonnieTorres
Casting On

Thanks!! That makes perfect sense. I knew that it had to be something that I did with the needles. I usually use circulars for knitting in the round and don't usually have these types of issues. I appreciate your help!
AKARonnieTorres is offline   Reply With Quote