Old 04-28-2011, 09:53 AM   #21
Mirl56
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by N0obKnitter View Post
I did buy a winder from KP, but then found out I need a swift and those are waaaaaaaaay too much $ for me. :(
DH made this swift for me a few years ago - I love it.
http://www.craftydiversions.com/patt...yarn_swift.htm It was not difficult or complicated at all, I could have made it myself easily.

Google around, there are instructions for others as well.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-01-2011, 12:24 PM   #22
ginas23
Casting On

If you have a checking account you can get a debit card. It works just like a credit card when ordering online, except it is not charged, the money is paid out of your account. Very handy.

And as others have pointed out, many sited do take PayPal. it's easy to order online.

Not as good as actually being able to see and feel the yarn and colors, but the next best thing...

Imagine the old days with no internet, how isolated some knitters were from yarn choices, and especially from helpful friends.

BTW, estate sales can sometimes turn up a treasure trove of knitting supplies.. sounds ghoulish, but it's not really. I would be happy to know someone else was enjoying my knitting stuff, rather than having it tossed in the trash.
ginas23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #23
Lighting57
Turning the Heel

If there are certain brands of yarn that you like, go to their website.
A lot of them have catalogs that you can subscribe to for free. You then can order through the mail or online.

I get catalogs from Lion Brand and Patons. I never knew that LB made so many different yet great yarns to work with.
Lighting57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:35 PM   #24
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
I also get catalogs from Webs, Knitpicks, and Patternworks. Even if you don't buy they are fun to look at and sometimes there is other technical info especially in the KP catalog. Patternworks is the biggest and makes me drool!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:12 PM   #25
Wanda Witch
Turning the Heel

If you have a PayPal account that deducts from your bank account Fabric.com has a nice selection of yarn some new, some discontinued, and if you purchase $35.00 the s/h is free. I have ordered from them quite a few times and they ship very promptly also. I too am in a place where there is no LYS so rely strictly on the Internet. I know, it doesn't take the place of feeling the yarn but ya do what ya gotta do to get yarn.
Wanda Witch is offline   Reply With Quote