Old 04-29-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
okckwilter
1st Leg of the Journey

Questions - Casting on for a sweater
I'm just getting started on a gauge swatch for my first sweater, a very simple piece with the front and back consisting of simple rectangles in garter stitch, worked from bottom edge up, in case that matters in relation to my questions. I'm using Berroco Vintage blend yarn. I plan to use KP nickel needles.

First question: Is a knit cast-on a good choice for sweaters? I've been using the long-tail cast-on on other projects but with needing to cast-on 96 stitches, I'm not at all optimistic about estimating how much of a tail I'll need without starting over several times (my usual outcome with long-tail cast on ).

Second question: Is it ok to cast-on using Harmony wood needles then change to the nickel needles? I'm finding the nickel needles very slippery and hard to get started with. The pattern says to cast-on loosely.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-29-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
A knit cast on is great for lace, but for a sweater may be too loose and loopy as you don't need the stretch. A cable cast on is similar to a knit CO but you insert the needle between the sts to 'knit' a new one. It's as sturdy as LT, but be careful not to pull the yarn tight or it won't be as stretchy. You can always use 2 strands of yarn for a LT cast on, one for the thumb and one for the fingers. Loosely tie them together and proceed as usual.

It would be okay to use the other needles to cast on with, shouldn't matter to the gauge so much.

Last edited by suzeeq : 04-29-2011 at 10:50 PM.
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:07 PM   #3
okckwilter
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks for the input, Sue! I had pretty good idea that the knit cast-on wouldn't suit me when I saw how loose and sloppy it looked. I think the cable cast-on will work well when I get the hang of it. Thanks!