Old 04-30-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
BeckVik
Casting On

Help with pattern "increase eveyr following alternate row"
Hi all

I am new to knitting and this forum. I picked up my first waistcoat pattern this weekend (after practicing lots and lots on scarfs) and I am at the section where you need to shape the sleeves.
Instruction says:
"Work 12 rows increasing 1 st at each end of next and every following alternate row, working increasing st in cable pattern. Place a marker at each end of last row."
I am increasing from 56 to 68 st.

1.) How does it work to increase every following alternate row if I have only 12 rows to knitt to increase by 12 st? Wouldn't that be an increase at every row?

2.) How does an increase in cable stitching work?

I really really appreciate your help. Thank you so very much!
And I am sorry if the same or similar thread has been posted before, I couldn't find anything that would make me understand the pattern.

BeckVik
BeckVik is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
An alternate row is every other row and you inc 2 sts on them, one at the beg and one at the end of the rows (each end).

You won't reall be increasing in the cable sts, only at the edges of the row, so work the first st, inc, then the rest of the row to the end, inc and work the last stitch. There may be purl sts between the cable sts, so you would work the new ones in purl, then when there's enough, do some in knit. You're building out from the cables so your sts would be something like this....

E inc pp cable.... cable pp inc E (E for edge stitch), then after that it would look like -
E k pp cable.... cable pp k E then later
E kk pp cable .... cable pp kk E

I'd have to know what the pattern is or the cable pattern to be more specific.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote