Old 05-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
alldone
Casting On

Need help with a pattern
I am trying to knit the "Shoulder Shawl with Simply Soft" by Caron. I'm a leftie that knits right handed, I've knit simple shawls, blankets, socks and cables. However, I have a terrible time understanding directions and the nearest knitting help is 50 miles away. The problem is ... I've tried this pattern twice and each time the "shape right side" comes out about twice as long as "shape left side". Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Carolyn
alldone is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-05-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,803 Times in 7,162 Posts
I'm not sure how to help, but it helps if you include a lihk if possible. I found it so the next person can help you better.
http://www.caron.com/projects/ss/ss_shoulder_shawl.html

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,503 Times in 3,178 Posts
What a pretty shawl. And it looks like fun to knit.
If you look at the directions under Shape Right Side, Row 1 has 34 sts from the edge to the marker near the middle of the shawl. You need to work until there are 7 sts between the edge and the marker which works out to ~55 rows. .Count the number of rows you have from the Row 1 and figure out which side of the shawl is correct, the left or the right. In other words is the right side too long or is the left side too short.
BTW, Iím also the right knitting leftie.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
alldone
Casting On

need help with a pattern
Thanks! Your reply reminded me that I'm a visual person so I plotted out the left side stitches in excel and realized my mistake. It also comes out to ~55 rows.

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
What a pretty shawl. And it looks like fun to knit.
If you look at the directions under Shape Right Side, Row 1 has 34 sts from the edge to the marker near the middle of the shawl. You need to work until there are 7 sts between the edge and the marker which works out to ~55 rows. .Count the number of rows you have from the Row 1 and figure out which side of the shawl is correct, the left or the right. In other words is the right side too long or is the left side too short.
BTW, Iím also the right knitting leftie.
alldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,503 Times in 3,178 Posts
Ah, lefties. Good for you!
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:11 AM   #6
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

Leftie vs Righty???
I am also a leftie, but since knitting is done with 2 needles didn't think it mattered in knitting like it does with crocheting. I hold the yarn in my right hand and just follow the pattern. Seems to turn out just fine. Crocheting on the other hand gets a bit complicated with fancier stitches as they have to be transposed/done "backwards" to make them look right.
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:52 AM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,803 Times in 7,162 Posts
I'm right handed, but I gotta say it's really personal choice. For some lefties it seems to work best if they literally knit the opposite way and rewrite the patterns for themselves and for others they just learn "right handed" with some holding the yarn in the right hand (english method) and some holding it in the left hand (continental). Do what feels comfortable to you regardless of what books or other knitters tell you. It all looks the same in the end.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote