Old 05-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
alayna
Ribbing the Cuff

double pointed needles help?
so im attempting to learn how to knit socks, found a great site that was recommend here on knitting help.

http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm

im using sock yarn, i always seem to be getting holes, it says cast 64 sts and put them on the needles as follows, 22, 20, 22, i always seem to be getting holes, so i did some research and found that it supposed to be divisable by four, and you should end on a purl and start with a knit. if i divide the stitches, 20, 24, 20 will that be ok?

also im a bit confused when you work with double pointed needles you are supposed to be knitting the outside of the tube right?

“There is practically no activity that cannot be enhanced or replaced by knitting, if you really want to get obsessive about it.”
― Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
alayna is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

Yes, usually when you knit socks you are looking at the outside (right side) of the sock.

How many sts you put on each needle is personal preference. Sometimes it works out easier to have them split so they will be aligned when you go to work the heel. Other times it helps to have them split at the break between multiples of a pattern (ex. cable). Others choose to line up a knit/purl st so as to minimize "ladders" forming between needles.

Divide them how you like, just keep track of the numbers (use markers) and you may need to move sts when you go to work the heel.

Last edited by RochesterKnitter : 05-12-2011 at 02:33 PM.
RochesterKnitter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
alayna
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by RochesterKnitter View Post
Yes, usually when you knit socks you are looking at the outside (right side) of the sock.

How many sts you put on each needle is personal preference. Sometimes it works out easier to have them split so they will be aligned when you go to work the heel. Other times it helps to have them split at the break between multiples of a pattern (ex. cable). Others choose to lign up a knit/purl st so as to minimize "ladders" forming between needles.

Divide them how you like, just keep track of the numbers (use markers) and you may need to move sts when you go to work the heel.
does looking at the outside count for all double pointed needle knitting?

“There is practically no activity that cannot be enhanced or replaced by knitting, if you really want to get obsessive about it.”
― Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
alayna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
For all circular knitting yes.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Most people have the right side facing out, but some do it right side facing in and most of the time it is not a big problem, but may require some adapting in places and with socks I'm not sure how it works out.

Having your work turn out with the right side facing out has to do with the very beginning when you join the knitting to work in the round. I usually have RS out, no problem, but the other day I knit a tiny 3D acorn starting with only 4 stitches and somehow I got myself going wrong and had the RS in. It was not a problem except to make St st I had to purl every row instead of knit, but on such a tiny item I didn't mind. Then I just turned it RS out at the end.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It really doesn't matter how you join, it's where the needle tips are after you complete the 'join'. If they're on the far side of the loop then you'll be knitting inside out, if they're closer to you, then the RS will be on the outside.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #7
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

Yes, all circular knitting patterns will have the right side out, unless they specifically say otherwise.

Some people like to adapt circular patterns when they do stranded knitting so that the wrong side is out, so as to prevent too short/tight of strands and therefore puckering in the work.
RochesterKnitter is online now   Reply With Quote