Old 05-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
cmkiszewski
Casting On

From 1x1 Ribbing to Stockinette on round needles
Hi Everyone,
I am attempting to knit my first sweater (well I have knitted a baby raglan before for practice). Anyway, the patter said to work 5in of 1x1 ribbing which I did and now it says to start working in stockinette however when I started knitting the right side is showing the purl stitches and the wrong side is showing the knit stitches. Is it possible that what I think is the wrong side is the right side or did I miss something? Here is a link to the pattern: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/corona

Thanks in advance.
cmkiszewski is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,744 Times in 7,115 Posts
You're probably knitting inside out. When you're doing ribbing it's not as obvious so you probably didn't notice. It's pretty common to new knitters.

When you knit in the round you knit on the outside of the loop of knitting so when you're holding the needles to knit the circle is away from you and the needles are closest to your body. Here's a page with pictures. Scroll down and you can see how you hold the needles.
http://www.knitpicks.com/tutorials/K...dle__D116.html

Go back to the beginning of the first row of stockinette and flip the work around so you're working on the outside. When you do that it may cause a little hole, but you can fix that later when you're weaving in ends or with a piece of yarn.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,349 Times in 3,033 Posts
The sweater is knit in the round on circular needles so you want to be knitting with the needle tips nearest to you and the cable part of the needles away from you. That way you're knitting around the outside of the tube. You'll be using knit sts only for stockinette since you're knitting in the round. Working this way will make the later cable pattern much easier to follow, so good to change now.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
cmkiszewski
Casting On

I sure was holding the needles wrong, thank you so much for helping me.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:56 PM   #5
cmkiszewski
Casting On

Hmmm, I know what happened. While I was knitting the rib the outside didn't look nearly as good as the inside so I flipped it inside out and then made the mistake of holding the needles away from my body. Well I ended up ripping it all the way back up and started all over. Now I am having the problem that when I hold the needles closest to me like in the video, the inside of my knitted work looks so much better than the outside. In the inside you can tell beautifully the knits from the purls and its very defined and nicely lined up and the outside isn't really lined up and the v's look more like lines.
Any ideas?
Old 05-17-2011, 10:44 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You can give your piece a quick dunk now and you'll see that will probably even out the sts.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:41 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,744 Times in 7,115 Posts
Depending on yarn type and how it's plied you can get an uneven looking knit stitch.
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall05/FEATwhyply.html

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote