Old 05-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
KnottyTinker
Ribbing the Cuff

GETTING GAUGE...
Hi there-

I am trying knit a tunic top (has a 5" rib to start with) that calls for 18 gauge yarn. I have a 17 gauge that I want to use. After knitting the ribbing twice, I am completely frustrated because I can't get the correct measurement indicated on the pattern. The bottom should measure 19" across and on size 8 needles I'm getting 17". I'm a loose knitter and one of my knitting friends said I should knit it on small needles, but that doesn't see right. Also, I'm doing it in the round and the original pattern is flat. I'm casting on 172 stitches (86 sts for back). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, as long as I'm here, I want to answer an add for "a knitter to finish projects, must be patient and will pay the going hourly rate." One of my expert knitting friends charges $40/hr. while another one charges $15/hr. So what is the going hourly rate?
KnottyTinker is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Do you mean 18 or 17 sts per 4"? That's how it's usually written. But you need to match the gauge for the pattern, rather than the gauge on the yarn. You can go up to size 9s and see if the 172 sts will measure the 19" you need, that would be the 18 sts per 4". If you're measuring the ribbing only, that pulls in a lot and is hard to measure gauge on, so the same sts knit in stockinette may be right.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
KnottyTinker
Ribbing the Cuff

The pattern calls for 18 gauge and the yarn I want to use says 17 sts per 4". I thought maybe going up to 9 would make the ribbing look too large, but I can certainly give it a try. I got gauge or I thought I did doing stockinette stitch on the 8's.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Ribbing is usually done on needles smaller than you work the body with, because with the same size, the sts look too big. Knit an inch or 2 of stockinette with the same needles and see if you get 18 sts over 4", or switch to the 9s then.

I really think you need to stop now and try another swatch with another skein of yarn. CO about 24 sts and work about 3" with the 8s in stockinette, then do another 3" on the 9s. It also helps to wash or wet your swatch and lay it out to dry; some yarns grow a little when they get wet. You don't have to cut the yarn to do this, just BO and leave it attached to the skein. If the stockinette measures 18 sts over 4" with the 8s, then continue to work with them. If the size 9 section is closer to the 18 sts, then switch to it after the ribbing. The ribbing will pull in a lot more so will look smaller, but that's normal and it's the main body of the tunic you want to be 19" across.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
KnottyTinker
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you! That is sound advice and your last sentence made a lot of sense,"....main body of the tunic you want to be 19" across."