Old 05-18-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
Jackie M.
Turning the Heel

Cotton Yarn shrink?
Has anyone ever had cotton yarn, such as Sugar n Cream or other cotton yarn, shrink? Should size be considered when using 100% cotton?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-18-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,803 Times in 7,162 Posts
What are you making? Cotton yarns can shrink a little, but if you're making a sweater they can also grow when wearing. Best thing to do is a swatch and then wash and dry it to see what happens.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
Jackie M.
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
What are you making? Cotton yarns can shrink a little, but if you're making a sweater they can also grow when wearing. Best thing to do is a swatch and then wash and dry it to see what happens.
Thanks Jan. I made a beach bag and it seemed just right, but after putting towels in it, the bag stretched nearly to the floor! I hope it WILL shrink. I used 100% cotton yarn.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Cotton does stretch out with use or wear, but will shrink back to the knitted size when washed. The problem may not be with the bag so much as how you did the handles. If you just knit a strap, that's going to stretch and stretch. You could make it a lot shorter and that could work, or do a different type. With my bags I made them in the round from the bottom and when I got nearly to the top, cast off some sts at the beg of the round and halfway around, then cast on a few more sts on the next round so the handles were a bit larger, then worked a couple more rounds and bound off. If you want a shoulder bag, you could cast off only about 2-3" of sts, but cast on about 8" worth to make them longer. Then you would have the handles doubled and they're less likely to stretch as much as a single strap.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #5
Jackie M.
Turning the Heel

...um......I'll read this a few more times. Thanks suzeeq.

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Cotton does stretch out with use or wear, but will shrink back to the knitted size when washed. The problem may not be with the bag so much as how you did the handles. If you just knit a strap, that's going to stretch and stretch. You could make it a lot shorter and that could work, or do a different type. With my bags I made them in the round from the bottom and when I got nearly to the top, cast off some sts at the beg of the round and halfway around, then cast on a few more sts on the next round so the handles were a bit larger, then worked a couple more rounds and bound off. If you want a shoulder bag, you could cast off only about 2-3" of sts, but cast on about 8" worth to make them longer. Then you would have the handles doubled and they're less likely to stretch as much as a single strap.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I'd be happy to work you through it, step by step. It was just an example.... if you have a pattern in mind, post a link and I can help you modify it.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote