Old 08-29-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
naveshani
Casting On

Urgent help needed with [p1, yon, k1 tbl] all into NEXT st
Hello dear friends,

I just read your explanation regarding the meaning of "kpk" and "pkp" and i was wondering if you could assist me. i am trying to knit a baby's hat taken from Nursery Knits by Erika Knight. two things seem to mislead me in the following guideline:

The first one says:

2nd row: P1, * [p1, yon, k1 tbl] all into next st, p1; rep from * to end. "

What does "[p1, yon, k1 tbl] all into NEXT st" mean? I know what 'kpk into the same st' mean, but i'm not sure if i should put the whole parantheses into the next st; in addition, how do i get to 'k1 tbl' if i have a 'yon' in the middle? and finally, which next st are they talking about? (it's not a raspberry or trinity st, is it?)

The second one says:

7th row: "K and inc 1(dec 1:dec 3) sts evenly across row."

how do i interpret the phrase "(dec 1:dec 3) " if we're talking about an increase?

Your assistance will be highly appreciated,

NB
naveshani is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-29-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
blueygh2
Turning the Heel

For the decrease, if the pattern states different sizes (S,M,L), then the things between parenthesis could mean:
For size S, you increase, for size M you decrease 1, for size L you decrease 3. This seems a bit ... wrong though. But it could mean it.

Otherwise I don't really see what it could mean.

As for the p,yo,k1tbl, you purl the next stitch on the needle, but you don't drop it off. Then you take the yarn over the right needle to the back between the needles and knit one through the backloop. So you have p,yo,k tbl.

I'm NOT a "miss", I'm a lady!
blueygh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blueygh2 For This Useful Post:
KnitFixation (05-18-2011)
Old 08-29-2009, 05:22 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It's the same as p, yo, k1tbl in the same stitch (which is the next st on your left needle after you did the previous sts).
I agree, that on the line where you inc for one size, you may be decreasing for another size; it would be to get a correct stitch count for a st pattern.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:42 PM   #4
blueygh2
Turning the Heel

But what bothers me is that normally the sizes are S,M,L, so it doesn't make much sense to me to DECREASE for M and L in respect to S...

If we had the pattern, things could be very much clearer.

I'm NOT a "miss", I'm a lady!
blueygh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:19 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You're only decreasing a st or 3, and the larger sizes probably have several sts more per size increment. It would be to make a stitch pattern come out right and rather than increase 8 which may make it too big, they have you decreasing 3. If it's lace it's stretchy so you can have less sts for it than a stockinette portion and it would still be the same size.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:18 PM   #6
naveshani
Casting On

Dear Suzeeq and Blueygh2,

Thanks a lot for your saving me.. and enlighting suggestions; i'm surely going to try them now. hope it turns out well. will keep you posted.

Bye for now,

Naveshani
naveshani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:21 PM   #7
KnitFixation
Casting On

Originally Posted by blueygh2 View Post
For the decrease, if the pattern states different sizes (S,M,L), then the things between parenthesis could mean:
For size S, you increase, for size M you decrease 1, for size L you decrease 3. This seems a bit ... wrong though. But it could mean it.

Otherwise I don't really see what it could mean.

As for the p,yo,k1tbl, you purl the next stitch on the needle, but you don't drop it off. Then you take the yarn over the right needle to the back between the needles and knit one through the backloop. So you have p,yo,k tbl.
I am doing a baby doll pattern from Mary Maxim and I struggled with the instruction P1, YO, K1 tbl all into next stitch. I was getting 4 stitches from 1 instead of 3. You have helped immensely. Thanks so much!
KnitFixation is offline   Reply With Quote