Old 05-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
Antares
Working the Gusset

Combination Knitting Question About Decreases
I'm a combination knitter, and I'm trying to figure out some simple ways to make decreases. Based on info on this forum, I understand that if a regular knit pattern says ssk, I should do a k2tog instead. And when the pattern says, k2tog, I should do ssk.

However, what if the pattern calls for s1, k1, psso? What would be the equivalent of this stitch in combination knitting--or can I use k2tog or ssk in place of the s1, k1, psso? And which is it? I'm getting confused about which is left slanting and which is right slanting in combo knitting?

Urgh!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,465 Times in 3,141 Posts
A k2tog slants to the right. Both the ssk and the sl1k1psso slant to the left. Here's a table that might helphttp://www.grumperina.com/table.pdf.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
Antares (05-23-2011)
Old 05-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #3
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

The ssk is done like a k2together but through the back loop. Remember your stitches face to the right. Other knitters would say they're backwards. This ssk decrease will slant to the left. In a k2 tog, you change the orientation of the two stitches from right facing to left facing like Continental and English style knitters use and knit the two stitches together through the front loops in front of the needles from left to right. You will wrap the yarn around the needle like you normally would when you knit. This is a counterclockwise wrap. This will give you a right slanting decrease.

You will use both of these if you knit something like mittens for the top shaping. The ssk will be our k2together through the back loop on the right side of the work. The k2tog will be the changing the orientation I just mentioned on the left side of the work. Those mitten decreases will shape it like this: // \\

Diana is a combination knitter. You might get some hints from her videos. Natalia is an Eastern knitter. Her tutorials are near the bottom of her site. I think Eastern is easier than combination because the yarn is always in back of the needles for knitting and purling. Your tension is more even.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZRxjqBXdEs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1z3vQprjDo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNrDgbBZ3zA

http://azazello.org/nataliaknits/

*I'm an Eastern knitter*

Last edited by fatoldladyinpjs : 05-22-2011 at 07:25 AM.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatoldladyinpjs For This Useful Post:
Antares (05-23-2011)
Old 05-21-2011, 10:46 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
The skp is the same as ssk so you can do that as a substitute. Both of them slant to the left in regular knitting, but to the right in combination knitting. The k2tog slants to the left for you.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Antares (05-23-2011)
Old 05-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #5
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Oh, there's another thing I thought I would mention. It's about increases when doing Eastern or combination knitting. I didn't find any videos on this and had to figure it out on my own. I thought I would pass it on to you to save you some grief. This is for the knit in front and back increase. We reverse it. You will knit in the back of the stitch like we do for normal knitting and then in the front. The right needle will be in front of the left and you will knit into the stitch from left to right. There's no need to turn the stitch around for that one.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatoldladyinpjs For This Useful Post:
Antares (05-23-2011)
Old 05-23-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
Antares
Working the Gusset

Thanks to everyone for all this great information. Now I'm going to have to print it out, study it, and try to put it into practice since I'm a hands-on learning type!
Old 05-24-2011, 02:25 AM   #7
Mazie
1st Leg of the Journey

I also do this when increasing on a purl row, it was the only way I could make them work.
Mazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #8
Antares
Working the Gusset

Another question:

I noticed in the video for k2tog ("combo style" supposedly) posted by the skinny lady in pjs ( ) that the yarn goes OVER the back of the needle rather than under it and around the front as it normally does in combination knitting. Is that correct?

I don't understand how knit stitches are made (at all!), so I'm wondering why the heck combination knitting has to resort to "regular" knitting to get the desired decreases!!! Very frustrating--especially when combination knitting is SO much easier.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Everyone wraps yarn a different way - wrapping over first then down and under is what makes it eastern or combination style as opposed to western (english/continental) style where the yarn is taken under the needle and up over to the back again. Though sometimes, only the purls are wrapped that way and the knits the 'regular' way. In combination style, the leg closest to the tip of the needle is in 'back' of it, while in western, the leg closest to the tip is in front of the needle.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:26 PM   #10
Antares
Working the Gusset

Okay, I *think* I may have found an easier way for me to do a left-slanting decrease in combo knitting (and by the way, I wrap the yarn in the same way as what's shown on the combination knitting videos on this site). Anyway, maybe it's not any easier, but it does make for tighter stitches when I do it this way. However, I might be missing something important, so I'll give the directions and ask (begging and pleading) for a combination knitter to try them out and see if this works! Please!

To decrease from two stitches to one: Flip 2 stitches around (through back loops) one at a time and move them to right needle. Then, stick left needle through back of slipped stitches from left to right. Wrap the yarn between the two needles and then away from you over the left needle. Slide this yarn under the slipped stitches and then slide the two stitches (formerly known as "slipped stitches") off the right needle. Lastly, pass the new stitch from the left needle to the right one. Two stitches decreased and if all goes well, a left-slanting decrease without any problems!