Old 05-29-2011, 03:55 AM   #1
BlankShot
Casting On

How hard is knitting?
Hello, I've never knitted before and don't even know how to sew a buckle onto some pants.. but I want to knit something for someone so I believe I will have the patience to learn. (I hope)

Would 6 months be enough for me to learn enough to make something like this: knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/toys/beanbear.htm ?

I'm a guy, 17 years old at that..

Tried figuring out the abbreviations but couldn't catch anything so I guess those aren't very basic.
Where should I start? Should I start with knitting a square or something? Also "sts" means stiches right?
BlankShot is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-29-2011, 05:36 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,346 Times in 3,030 Posts
It's easier than learning to ride a bike and not nearly as painful.
The bear pattern is all knit sts (yes, stitches) and some shaping. There are videos at the top of this page under the Free Videos tab to get you started and a glossary to explain the abbreviations. You could also look for a book at the library that has clear drawings or pictures.
You found this site, so you're already on your way. I'd say a bear in much less than 6 months.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:13 AM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You could probably learn enough to knit a bear within a few weeks really. I learned to knit from a booklet when I was 14 and my first project was a rabbit for my niece. The Glossary tab at the top of the page has a lot of the terms used in patterns, and many have videos, some of which aren't covered on the other pages.

Just get some inexpensive, light colored medium yarn (not thick or not thin) and some size 9 or 10 needles to practice with and you'll be fine.

Last edited by suzeeq : 05-29-2011 at 09:27 AM.
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
BlankShot
Casting On

Thank you!

Change of plans! I need to make a pig now :D

I'll start practicing soon.
BlankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
niko
Casting On

I have been thinking about starting to knit. My wife has encouraged me a lot. It wasn't _that_ hard to get started, but anything beyond basics is impossible for me.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,740 Times in 7,112 Posts
Originally Posted by niko View Post
I have been thinking about starting to knit. My wife has encouraged me a lot. It wasn't _that_ hard to get started, but anything beyond basics is impossible for me.
Now, now... you can do it! Just practice the basics for awhile then do one new thing at a time till you get the hang of it. Baby steps.

BTW...there are lots of simple patterns you can play with while learning.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
alayna
Ribbing the Cuff

knitting can be very intimdating, but once you see that finished project that you never thought you could do in a million years, its all worth it. like someone else said, baby steps, i learned the basics as a kid in a knitting club at my school and the rest i taught myself. ive found that the internet is a very useful tool when you stuck, good luck

“There is practically no activity that cannot be enhanced or replaced by knitting, if you really want to get obsessive about it.”
― Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
alayna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:35 PM   #8
bambi
Working the Gusset

There are mountains of useful videos on this site plus some awesome teachers!!

I am self taught also and, though I won't say it was easy, it wasn't too hard, either.

Start with basic things, like learning the abbreviations, cast on (CO), knit (k), purl (p), and bind off (BO). Before I found this site, I used this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Minutes-Learn-...6726481&sr=1-3

And did quite well with it.

Good luck!

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Bambi-M

I'm Bambi-M on Ravelry
bambi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:37 PM   #9
bambi
Working the Gusset

Oh, yeah, don't pick dark yarns or fancy yarns to practice. It's tougher to see your stitches (STS).

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Bambi-M

I'm Bambi-M on Ravelry
bambi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:48 AM   #10
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Here's a good place for you to start. You first learn how to cast on. You can then decide which method you want to use, English or Continental style. They show both here in these videos. Don't feel strange about being a guy and wanting to knit. This was before your time, but there was a famous huge and manly football player named Rosey Grier. He loved to needlepoint and even published a book about it.

http://www.knitpicks.com/tutorials/B...ls__L1001.html

http://www.menwhoknit.com/community/
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote