Old 06-05-2011, 11:57 PM   #21
HamsterLover
Ribbing the Cuff

OOPS!
[quote=HamsterLover;1323544][/b]I remember it was today and my work looks like CRAP so if anyone has ANY IDEA what I can knit as a new knitter please tell me!!

sorry about the [/b] thing
HamsterLover is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-06-2011, 12:19 AM   #22
RoseFairy
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by HamsterLover View Post
I remember it was today and my work looks like CRAP so if anyone has ANY IDEA what I can knit as a new knitter please tell me!!
Most new knitters' works aren't that neat and even so don't worry about it looking like crap. As for what you can knit, the standard is a garter st scarf to get knit stitches down. Dishclothes are also standard beginner items, but really it's up to you what you want to knit.
HamsterLover (06-06-2011)
Old 06-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #23
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You just started today right... Give yourself a week or so of practice. We all had uneven sts or holes or something, and the more you knit, the better it looks. What would you like to knit? If you knit something you want, you'll be more likely to see it through than just something to do because it's supposed to be 'the next step' or whatever.

Last edited by suzeeq : 06-06-2011 at 10:24 AM.
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
HamsterLover (06-11-2011)
Old 06-07-2011, 03:48 AM   #24
NorthernIrelandKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

I think I was about 8 when my mother taught me and 2 of my siblings to knit, using toffee apple sticks - she had those in abundance - and string. We were so proud of our finished articles that we stuck them on the wall just inside the front door for our father to see and admire when he came in from work. He responded very suitably - 'What are these lovely things? Who made these?' or words to that effect.

At first our mother cast on for us and just had us doing garter stitch. I'm not sure when we advanced to the purl stitch, but I eventually got frustrated with having to wait for my mother to cast on for me, so she taught me how to do it.

Our projects at first were small and simple - dolls' clothes, kettle holders - I made one for my grandmother, who was thrilled - and tea cosies, but our mother eventually allowed us to progress to knitting something for myself, although by that time my older brother had given up knitting.

Those early projects are gone now and I don't remember how they looked, but they probably weren't wonderful as my mother used to say my knitting was too loose.

I wish I'd asked her when she was alive who taught her to knit - her own mother didn't knit so it probably wasn't her.

Gillian
NorthernIrelandKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:52 PM   #25
trvvn5
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to trvvn5
I learned how to knit about 9 years ago. I remember my work being HORRIBLE when I first started. I had no concept of tension. I lost and gained stitches at will. My garter stitch looked like lace when I first started cuz I was so bad.

And yes, every now and again I think about some of the things I've done and I think about how much I SUCKED when I first started and I think, "Wow...I've really come far." I was very proud of myself a few months back when my 54 year old aunt, who has been knitting for longer than I have, came to me and asked me if I could teach her how to do a few things. Very proud moment for me.

FO: Lacey Stole, Library Capelet, Dead Fish Hat, Tree Bark Scarf
trvvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:32 PM   #26
Stockinetter
Casting On

I actually learned this year, and I'm actually better than the person who taught me! I'm actually working on 5 different projects right now and I'm still sane XD.

StockinrtterKH on Ravelry
Stockinetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:44 AM   #27
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

HamsterLover, just take a ball of yarn you don't care about too much. Knit a practice swatch. Rip it out. Wind the ball up again and keep doing that. I did that a lot when I was trying to practice getting my tension even. I'm doing it now to learn how to do cables. Eventually you get the technique you're practicing right. Knit, rip, wind, repeat.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatoldladyinpjs For This Useful Post:
HamsterLover (06-11-2011)
Old 06-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #28
Danisty
Ribbing the Cuff

My mom showed me how to knit and purl, but I learned everything else from books and the internet. I started almost 4 years ago when my husband deployed to Iraq. My first project was a basket weave scarf for him and it took me forever because I kept having to fix mistakes. I was also knitting way too tight.
Danisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #29
RoseFairy
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Danisty View Post
My mom showed me how to knit and purl, but I learned everything else from books and the internet.
Didn't the books make a whole lot more sense once someone showed you how to knit and purl? I know that when I tried to learn from a book it was super confusing to me. After someone showed me how to knit and purl though it made a whole lot more sense.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #30
Danisty
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by RoseFairy View Post
Didn't the books make a whole lot more sense once someone showed you how to knit and purl? I know that when I tried to learn from a book it was super confusing to me. After someone showed me how to knit and purl though it made a whole lot more sense.
Oh yes! I don't think the drawings in those books are very clear at all and it hasn't changed over time either. I have books that belonged to my grandmother (she's 98 if that says anything) and they were pretty bad at explaining things too.
Danisty is offline   Reply With Quote