Old 07-21-2011, 10:57 PM   #41
Breezed
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Breezed
Originally Posted by Arielluria View Post
I'm glad I have a pic of myself knitting as a kid I was 10 in this photo but I knit & frogged that same little ball of blue yarn for approximately 6 years I would make a little square, put it on my Barbie and wish I could somehow close it and make a mini skirt, but no one to show me how. So I'd frog and start all over again, just plain stockinette.

So I guess I got a lot of practice that way and by the time I took it up seriously almost 30 years later I took right to it. I still have my first scarf (below) and it looks perfect, tension, etc. I can only attribute that to all the practice I got with that little ball of yarn as a kid.
That's funny you didn't get bored knitting that same little ball. I would have gone mad! And you are right, your first scarf is perfect. It's very pretty, even now.

Breezed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Breezed For This Useful Post:
Arielluria (07-21-2011)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-21-2011, 11:06 PM   #42
Arielluria
Instepping Out

You can tell by the pillow I had knitting & crochet influences from childhood. I remember being WOWED by those crocheted pillows made by my mom's aunt. One of my aunts made a lot of doillies which I never liked, still don't, but these pillows made me happy.
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:24 PM   #43
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I did much the same when I was a kid, I was about 14 and taught myself how to knit. I 'borrowed' a couple sticks from my brother's tinkertoys, sharpened them and used my mom's packaging string. I just knit everything that was in the little booklet - knit and purl, maybe decreaes, don't remember. But over and over again. My mom decided if I was so determined to stick with it, she bought a pair of needles and some yarn. Size 5s and worsted weight (no wonder I don't like small needles now!). My first project was a stuffed rabbit out of a booklet, then I made a top down raglan pullover with a cable from another after that with some other needles. In between I practiced on the other patterns with the left over rabbit yarn, just to learn stuff. And I did.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #44
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to crazykntter83
Originally Posted by Arielluria View Post
You can tell by the pillow I had knitting & crochet influences from childhood. I remember being WOWED by those crocheted pillows made by my mom's aunt. One of my aunts made a lot of doillies which I never liked, still don't, but these pillows made me happy.
I remember growing up being kinda influenced by the crocheted or knitted things around me too. We always had some kinda handmade blanket my aunt or one of my grandmothers. I remember always just being fascinated that you could make a lovely blanket out yarn. I still am. No one would ever teach me how to knit or crochet, though. Finally, one of my friend's moms attempted to teach me to crochet. I didn't really get it, so I just kinda made my own stitches. Later, after I finally learned to knit, and learned some of the other stitches I got more. Anyway...that's my story.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #45
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Arielluria, thanks for sharing your great old photo. What a nice thing to have. And your first project is cool. I'm sure you learned a lot working that blue ball of yarn over and over.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:40 PM   #46
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

I learned to crochet when I was young, but I only knew what my mom taught me and she didn't know much either. Neither one of us can read a crochet pattern. (Although I'd like to learn, and then teach her. )

We had a yarn shop open up in my little town -- I'd never heard of such a thing before, but I loved to go inside and walk around and look at all the yarn. When the city had a sort of open house -- it was called "Shopping in da Moonlight" and all the stores were open late, until 9 or 10 pm when they usually close around 7 pm -- and I dragged everyone into the yarn store.

I'd been wanting a knit scarf for a while -- even asked my mom if she could make one, and got a crocheted one in return, which I could have done myself. On that night we were the only customers in the store (DH, DS, and DD in the baby carrier) and I had an opportunity to talk to the owner for quite a while, ending with me asking if they had knitting classes. Their latest one had just started, but she offered to teach me herself. I had two sessions with her to start on a scarf for DS.

She said I picked it up pretty fast and she wondered if it was because I was already comfortable with yarn. I didn't have a swatch, since I was making a scarf, and I think I started it over three times before I really figured it out and then I just worked on it for the next year until it was done.

I've since made three scarves -- the first one and two others -- and have yet to make the one for myself. The ones that my mom made for me are working pretty well and I'm planning to make one for her as soon as I find a pattern I can stick with (I have had a couple of false starts.)

In the meantime, I have also crocheted two toys for my cat to make him stop stealing the crocheted pot holders my great-aunt gave to me. I think I need to learn how to make a catnip mouse!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote