Old 05-31-2011, 07:28 AM   #1
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
I took the leap!
I took THE LEAP! After much research, and thought, I purchased an e-reader from Amazon on Friday! The new generation Kindle (Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 3G Works Globally, Graphite, 6" Display with New E Ink Pearl Technology).

Although Amazon has been offering their e-reader versions at a $25 savings, this savings has a hitch: at launch you will see advertisements displayed. The ads won't be visible when you're reading. I opted to pay full price ($189) to avoid ads.

I'm real excited to begin using the Kindle 3! I'm hoping that it will give me decent pdf capability. I'll transfer just one (knitting pattern) pdf to my Kindle as a trial. From what I've read, The KINDLE DX reader gets higher marks for its pdf usefulness, but I don't ask a lot from pdf software. My DROIDX has a pdf reader and it's entirely satisfactory. I've downloaded 50% of my pdf knitting patterns into my Droidx. It's been very handy as quick reference.

The shipping/tracking information from Amazon says delivery is scheduled for today!

I'm real curious how this Kindle 3G connectivity thing works. From what I've read, when I'm out of WiFi range, I can get internet connection via the 3G provided by ATT. Can order e-books from Amazon, or even check email! Is that true? Could I log in at Ravelry and download my pdf library into my Kindle? (I did this to get them into my Droidx)

Another route that can be employed to transfer my knitting pdf's is hooking up the Kindle to my laptop via the USB cable included. That true?

I own about a dozen Kindle books that I've read using my Droidx Kindle app, or my "Kindle for PC" app. (both apps were free!) The KINDLE 3 has a 6" screen...2" larger than my Droidx screen.

The KINDLE DX has a whopper 9.7" screen for about double the price, but that size isn't as portable as I prefer. The latest Kindle will slip into my pocket!

I've read that there are no deposits, no contracts, no monthly fees associated with the 3G + Wifi Kindle, however I can't believe there won't be some restrictions involved. What do you know about it?

Of course, when using either your home network Wifi, or free Wifi at a local hotspot, there would naturally be no restrictions or data limitations. But for the 3G internet connection???

I'm dying to know.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-31-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Congratulations! I can't wait to see how you like it "in person"! I was wondering about the 3G as well. Free just seems to be too good to be true. So just curious what tipped the scales in favor if Kindle over Nook or Nook Color?

BTW... a $25 savings is sooooo no worth it to deal with ads. Are they nuts?

(Oh and I didn't get the iPad2 because we had a bunch of stuff we had to do on the house and with the cost I couldn't justify it at that time. Maybe someday.)

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
I was wondering about the 3G as well. Free just seems to be too good to be true. So just curious what tipped the scales in favor if Kindle over Nook or Nook Color?
Re: Kindle vs Nook: all things pretty much being equal, the decisive factor tipping the scale are the numerous Kindle books that I already own! PLUS: Nook & Nook Color do not offer 3G network models! (am I wrong?)

The Kindle offers both Wifi only and 3G+Wifi!
Nook only seems to offer Wifi! (Downer.)

I downloaded the free "Kindle for PC" a little over a year ago (to get my hands on a new book, and didn't feel like adding clutter to my home with another paper book!) Additionally, when I got this Droidx....the built-in "Kindle for Android" whooshed all of my "Kindle for PC" books! No matter which Kindle reader I open, they are synced immediately. Amazon calls this feature "Whispersync". I call it doggone convenient.

I downloaded the Kindle 3 User Guide. It's in my Droidx, but I acquired it using my laptop! (Whispersync at work!) I believe, from what I read, that the second my Kindle 3 is charged and then opened, all of my Kindle books will whoosh right into it, too. I've purchased several over the past year, plus downloaded several free books as well.

In reading the USER GUIDE, I did stumble upon some 3G fees: you will pay a small fee each time you use the 3G network to transfer your personally owned pdf's from laptop to Kindle. This method is essentially asking Amazon to provide the service of electronically delivering "someone else's" pdf's or file to your Kindle. So naturally it would follow there is a fee for the service.

BUT, there is a free workaround offered, too, using the Wifi feature to email yourself with the pdf's or docs, using the dedicated Amazon email address you will, or can, sign up for.

Another free workaround is, of course, attaching your Kindle to your laptop, using the USB enclosed, to "drag-drop" any and all pdf's or files you desire.

All free workarounds are noted in the User Guide, and the workarounds are easy to do.

I doubt that the pdf's I transfer into my Kindle 3 will be Whispersync'd into my two free Kindle apps...the Kindle for PC and Droidx Kindle I think only books and mags purchased directly from Amazon will Whispersync.

Coming very soon the Kindle 3 will have the capability to "borrow" library books for the normal limited amount of time (Nook already offers this feature, a deal breaker in Nook's favor)...so the Kindle had to play catch-up on that score! When you borrow the library book (from your participating local library) you can "write" in the margins, etc....but your notations are not viewable to the next person who "checks out/borrows" the book. And if you check it out again at another time, all of your notations are still there! Aaaaamazing. When this Library Lending feature is available, the UPDATE to your KINDLE will be sent to your Kindle. Just like our Android phones...updates are sent for download. I think the updates are sent over the 3G network from Amazon to my Kindle 3G+Wifi. I don't know what would happen if updates were necessary and I only had Wifi.

Nook Color: it wasn't of prime interest to me as a selling point because pdf and book reading are not color items, and I read that the Color feature draws more battery.

Both Kindle and Nook are awesome pieces of technology, with many satisfied, loyal customers! BTW: I have an Android Nook in my Droidx, too, but I've never used it to download books from B&N because Amazon offers that cool 1-Click purchase feature, with no need to sign in on the Amazon website over and over. Convenient. Quick. Efficient. Whoosh.

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 05-31-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:50 PM   #4
Jeremy
Mod Squad

Congratulations!
We love our Kindles.
ArtLady1981 (05-31-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 04:09 AM   #5
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

KINDLE 3 arrived. The leather case, too...the new & improved case with the light. (I read that the 1st generation leather cases were interfering with the electronics of the Kindle itself). Anyway, this version is working fine. Amazon fixed their issues. The LED light works off the battery of the Kindle, no need for batteries...and draws very little 'juice' from the Kindle battery. It sure does help! Glad I got it. I was fretting over the added expense. Yeah, I purchased the red case. The Granite Kindle color is, you know...drab...but white would make the page color look drabber...so I went with Granite...and a red case!

Anyway, happy to report a few nice things I discovered!

1) So you get a thousand things downloaded into your KINDLE...books, pdf's, etc. So who in the world wants to scroll for days, looking for a book, or a certain pdf?? Well, not to worry. You can create COLLECTIONS and name them...and so if I'm looking for a knitting pdf...I will click my KNIT collection...and this makes them more easily accessible.

Now naturally I'm wondering "Hmmm, can I create Collections within Collections?"

Anyone know offhand???

2) YES! I was able to log in at Ravelry!!! So there ya go! Of course, it is NOT IN COLOR...but, at least it is accessible. I can log in on my email accounts, GOOGLE, etc. Very nice!!! And there is no charge for it. Not being in color will limit how much I use it. But that's ok. It's free, and very readable. Nice for responding to messages etc, if your Droidx is low on, or out of, juice in the high mountains.

3) I highly recommend the leather cover with the light. Just this amount of light really perks up the contrast on the page! I might use it all the time. My eyes really thanked me. BTW: It does not create glare, being specially made to illuminate the Kindle page. There is another style case that takes a different kind of light that is clipped on. Seems kind of cumbersome and annoying. This light (below) just pulls out of the top right corner, and when you pull it out far enough it "clicks" into position and turns itself on. How convenient and tidy!

4) The drag-drop thing was smooth. First time I connected my Kindle to my laptop via the USB cord enclosed, the software loaded up real quick, recognizing my Kindle. And the drag-drop thing was easy. Amazingly fast! You can drag-drop music to the 'music' folder...and all pdf's and docs are dragged to the 'documents' folder...and whoosh. They appear in your KINDLE as soon as you eject the KINDLE from your laptop on the computer's end. You don't yank it out of your KINDLE. You must play nice.

5) The USB cord also has a AC adapter that allows you to plug your KINDLE into the wall...and if you pull off the AC adapter head...it exposes the USB connector...and you plug that into your laptop. Kinda nice that one cord can be used for two functions.

Thought you might like to know that I am very impressed with the EASE at which I was able to become adapted to navigating the Kindle. I thought I'd have more trouble.

One thing...if you have access to any device (like a Droid) that can get the USER GUIDE from Amazon...it really helps to read the USER GUIDE on your Droid, while you are working out a solution on the KINDLE. I mean...how can you 'read' the USER GUIDE remedy at the same time you're trying to (for example) follow steps 1-5 for setting up a "COLLECTION"? Kinda inconvenient. You'd have to have a split screen!

So, do yourself a favor. Get on your Droid (or other smartphone), go to Amazon.com and fetch the USER GUIDE into your (Android or other) Kindle app. Then you can open both the Kindles when you're a newbie trying to do this and that! Follow me?

I had read someone comment on that very issue.

6) My KINDLE 3 arrived with the 3.1 update pre-installed. One of the cool features in the recent update is this: the REAL PAGE NUMBERS (corresponding to the hard copy paper & ink book) appear at the bottom of the Kindle page, too! (You have to press MENU to bring up the page number at the bottom of the page) So now when you are talking to someone who has the hard copy book...you both have a point of reference with the real page numbers! Yay!!! This has been a long time a'comin' if you ask me!

Now doggone it...I'm going to bed to read!
I've read internet testimonies that this light doesn't disturb the partner laying next to you, snoring!

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 06-01-2011 at 05:14 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

That sounds great! Your reviews are always so clear and thorough! Thanks! And I KNEW you'd get a red leather cover! I like that, too.

I really like the size and weight of it so it's very tempting! I like the touch screen of the iPad and Nook Color and the fact that you can have some apps, but I like the weight of the Kindle for reading.

Can you do markup on PDFs btw? That would require a touch screen I suppose...

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 06-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #7
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Can you do markup on PDFs btw?
What are 'markups'? Do you mean underlining? Writing in margins? I'll google the term...

ETA: no, you can't do pdf markups in the truest definition. No yellow highlighting, etc. But you can underline and add notes, etc. Out of the box you can can just read the pdf in its original format. However, if you email your pdf to your email address at Amazon and include the word CONVERT in the subject line, Amazon will wifi you a converted-to-Kindle-format version, which allows some manipulation, such as font changes, etc, underling, notes, etc. I don't think you have to pay a fee for "conversion" if you avoid 3G delivery to your Kindle and go wifi instead. The USER GUIDE supplies a clear explanation about free workarounds. You can read the USER GUIDE at Amazon,.and even download it, before purchase which is nice! If a person doesn't have access to a wifi connection, you can still retrieve your converted pdf via your home email address I think. Not sure on all steps, but tedd some language to that effect.

I believe the latest generation of the KINDLE DX has a more sophisticated version of pdf handling. I didn't research too far on that though, but read comments about it being more user versatile.

The KINDLE DX is a 9.7" screen, and runs $379.
KINDLE 3 is a 6", and runs $189 w/o advertisements.

Artlady at Rav
Old 06-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Okay, thanks. I know the iPad has that ability which is very cool. You use a stylus and can make marks for row counts or whatever. I am so used to using a touch screen that it kind of holds me back from the Kindle. I'll have to do some more research, but your review helped a lot.

BTW - On my iPhone I can turn pages by swiping the screen..how's it work on Kindle?

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 06-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #9
Antares
Working the Gusset

You high-tech ladies are awesome!

HOWEVER, I'll stick with my print books and print-outs of patterns. That way, when the electricity goes off, I can still read and knit and crochet.

I just love the feel of holding a book in my hands, and since I'm a papercrafter, too, I love paper. Besides, since the only things I really collect are books and dust (and both seem to need each other so much), why would I break up that happy union?
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:22 PM   #10
Wanda Witch
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Antares View Post
You high-tech ladies are awesome!

HOWEVER, I'll stick with my print books and print-outs of patterns. That way, when the electricity goes off, I can still read and knit and crochet.

I just love the feel of holding a book in my hands, and since I'm a papercrafter, too, I love paper. Besides, since the only things I really collect are books and dust (and both seem to need each other so much), why would I break up that happy union?
Am I relieved to read Antares comments. And here I was thinking I was the only one in the world who is technologically impaired. I marvel I can even use one of 'these' things.

I also collect book, and yes the accompanying dust and fear we are running out of space to store them. Maybe this old pooch will be forced to learn a few new tricks? I'll think about it and yes, I am envious of those of you who are high tech.
Wanda Witch is offline   Reply With Quote