Old 06-01-2011, 01:35 PM   #11
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,645 Times in 7,047 Posts
I LOVE technology and gadgets..the more the better. I will say that I also have a ton of books and still purchase them. I am reading a series on my iPhone now because the first one was free and I liked it so much I checked the rest and they were only $2.99 on my Kindle app! So I got them.

Why do I like reading on my Kindle app...it's portable so I always have my book with me. I can highlight a word I don't know and get a definition. I can search through the book for someones name or whatever if I forgot who they were. It's so cool!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #12
Wanda Witch
Turning the Heel

Jan, you are tempting me with your comments. I like gadgets of all sorts also when I can figure them out. Who knows, maybe I am not too old to learn? Taught myself how to use a computer.
Wanda Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #13
Antares
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Wanda Witch View Post
Am I relieved to read Antares comments. And here I was thinking I was the only one in the world who is technologically impaired. I marvel I can even use one of 'these' things.

I also collect book, and yes the accompanying dust and fear we are running out of space to store them. Maybe this old pooch will be forced to learn a few new tricks? I'll think about it and yes, I am envious of those of you who are high tech.
Well, I tend to be somewhat "high-tech" in other areas, but I guess my old-fashioned views show through in the book/paper area. In addition to my beloved books, I have loads and loads of old letters from friends and family members that I like to look back through. Somehow looking at old e-mails just isn't the same.

To each their own, I guess!!!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #14
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,880 Times in 3,001 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Okay, thanks. I know the iPad has that ability which is very cool. You use a stylus and can make marks for row counts or whatever. I am so used to using a touch screen that it kind of holds me back from the Kindle. I'll have to do some more research, but your review helped a lot.

BTW - On my iPhone I can turn pages by swiping the screen..how's it work on Kindle?
The NOOK 'swipes'.

The Kindle has a page turner. The screen is not a touch screen at all. I purchased the Kindle for reading purposes. I didn't purchase it to use as a working pdf reader, however it's a great bonus to be able to have my knitting pdf's in there for informational reasons. Really, I use a paper printout of my pdf's 'to work with'...and my knitting notebook. All still "paper & ink" for sure!

See where her index finger is? That is the "turn one page back" button. See where her thumb is? That is the "turn the page over" button. These two "page turners" are located on both the left edge and right right edge, so if you are left-handed you are more comfortable.

It is amazingly responsive.

My Droidx Kindle is a "swipe" model cuz my Droidx is a touch screen. It's nice too. I am surprised how easily I adapted to the "page turners" feature. I'm so engrossed in the reading I barely notice how the pages turn. I'm just glad they do!

For sure, the iPad is it's own wonderful piece of technology! If you need the iPad for its multiple functions, it's nice that it can double as an e-reader. Kinda like my Droidx also doubles as a bare-bones e-reader. BUT, it's a battery hog. I could not read books on my Droidx for 3500 hours without re-charging, nor on the iPad. So that's why the Kindle (and Nook) are superior as dedicated e-readers. If you are a serious reader...the Kindle is your baby!

When I'm isolated up in the mountains...I like to read at night...and I cannot be sucking my Droidx dry. Powering it back up is sometimes not possible when I need to! We have a generator, but it's not always running...and husband is out of camp with his truck most of the day...working in the forest...pulling logs he's cut down with his truck and Warn winch...and so the car charger is out of my reach, too!

Anyway, I just "converted" a knitting pdf to Kindle format! (for free!) It is wonderful!
I'm able to highlight and make notes within the pdf. And change the font, etc. It is NOT like opening the pdf with Adobe X...but it's fine and very readable.

I wish I knew how extensively the KINDLE DX handles pdf's. For $379 it should do much more you'd think!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #15
Doublereeder2
Working the Gusset

Cool!!!

I love, love, love my Kindle. There are always new free books on Amazon too
A battery saving tip - turn off the 3G when you are at home or not needing to download. It uses the wireless in your house even if the 3G is turned on.

Aw, gee - c'mon and see: www.knittinreed.blogspot.com
Doublereeder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #16
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Doublereeder2 View Post
Cool!!!

I love, love, love my Kindle. There are always new free books on Amazon too
A battery saving tip - turn off the 3G when you are at home or not needing to download. It uses the wireless in your house even if the 3G is turned on.
I don't see how to specifically turn off the 3G specifically but I do see how to turn off the Wifi. (which I do) When I turn off the Wifi...the 3G disappears with it. I guess it's interconnected?

I don't use Wifi in my home. My laptop is dedicated to the Ethernet thing. I could turn on the Wifi of my modem...but never did. My reasoning was: I wouldn't use the laptop anywhere but here in my office. I use the Droidx everywhere else in the house.

PLUS....I don't know how to turn on my home Wifi, and set up the security for it.

I guess I should call my carrier about it.

Artlady at Rav
Old 06-01-2011, 04:36 PM   #17
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

KINDLE DX
Here's what Amazon says about the KINDLE DX pdf capability:

Built-In PDF Reader
Unload the loose documents from your briefcase or backpack, and put them all on Kindle. From neighborhood newsletters to financial statements to case studies and product manuals--you can take them all with you on Kindle DX. Native PDF support allows you to carry and read all of your personal and professional documents on the go. Zoom into any area of a PDF up to 300% and pan around to more easily view small print and detailed tables and graphics. With Amazon's Whispernet service, you can send your documents directly to your Kindle DX and read them anytime, anywhere. Some features such as annotations and read-to-me are not currently supported for PDF. You also have the option to have your PDF document converted to the Kindle format so that it reflows.

I dunno what all that means in terms of comparing the Kindle 3 to the Kindle DX. They seem just about the same with the exception of the much larger screen on the DX.

Something I DO LIKE about the Kindle DX is that it 'auto-rotates' back and forth between portrait view and landscape view if you tip it this way or that. The Kindle 3 doesn't automatically rotate. You can re-set it (easily) for landscape...but you have to take that step. I'm spoiled, I know....

Artlady at Rav
Old 06-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #18
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

COMPARISON
KINDLE 3 ( 7.5" x 4.8" x 0.335")

KINDLE DX (10.4" x 7.2" x 0.38")

So automatically, the pdf experience is going to be better.
But, at the greater ($379) cost.

Still....that's better than $829 for the 64GB ipad with 3G+Wifi connectivity. Drool.

It's all about "what ya want and what ya need". You pays to play.

Artlady at Rav
Old 06-01-2011, 05:08 PM   #19
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,645 Times in 7,047 Posts
Interesting. I think if I was going to go larger than the 6" it makes sense to just get the iPad if one can afford it. What is appealing to me with the kindle is the small size and that it's lightweight.

That's funny that it doesn't auto rotate like the app does. I have mine locked in portrait most of the time which is nice.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #20
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Interesting. I think if I was going to go larger than the 6" it makes sense to just get the iPad if one can afford it. What is appealing to me with the kindle is the small size and that it's lightweight.

That's funny that it doesn't auto rotate like the app does. I have mine locked in portrait most of the time which is nice.
Yeah, same here: I like the smaller portable size, the thousands of hours of reading on one charge, and the affordable price of $189 with free 3G + Wifi.

As I said, the Droidx Kindle reader very quickly sucks my battery dry.... and I'll bet the ipad e-reader function would suck that battery dry very quickly as well. Both are really only good for occasional reading when not "tied to" the AC outlet or car charger!

Artlady at Rav