Old 06-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #21
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
I can read all day with my iPhone. I've been reading a lot today and it's down to 43% so plenty of juice really till I plug it in tonight. Unless I play Bejeweled...that really sucks the life out of it!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-02-2011, 08:44 AM   #22
Doublereeder2
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
I don't see how to specifically turn off the 3G specifically but I do see how to turn off the Wifi. (which I do) When I turn off the Wifi...the 3G disappears with it. I guess it's interconnected?

I don't use Wifi in my home. My laptop is dedicated to the Ethernet thing. I could turn on the Wifi of my modem...but never did. My reasoning was: I wouldn't use the laptop anywhere but here in my office. I use the Droidx everywhere else in the house.

PLUS....I don't know how to turn on my home Wifi, and set up the security for it.

I guess I should call my carrier about it.
Yes, that's it. I love wireless in the house - I can sit on the sofa and type this on the laptop. Much better than firing up the desktop in the office
It is not hard to set up wireless in your house if you have the hardware for it. Do you have a router?

Aw, gee - c'mon and see: www.knittinreed.blogspot.com
Doublereeder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #23
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Originally Posted by Doublereeder2 View Post
Yes, that's it. I love wireless in the house - I can sit on the sofa and type this on the laptop. Much better than firing up the desktop in the office
It is not hard to set up wireless in your house if you have the hardware for it. Do you have a router?
Well, I think that thing sitting on my desk is a router. Not sure. It is a modem for sure...but not certain if it's also a router. Doh.

The 7 little lights on it (some are green, some are 'off') are:
power, 4 ethernet, 1-wireless, 1-USB, 1-DSL, 1-INTERNET.

The power light is green, 2-ethernets are green, 1-DSL is green, and 1-INTERNET is green.

The wireless light is 'off' or dark. Does the fact that it has a wireless light mean that the unit will transmit wireless inside my home?

I seem to remember my ISP telling me how to turn it on, or set it up. Doh.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:22 PM   #24
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

I have a modem and a router. The modem connects the cable to my computer so I can access the internet. The router allows me to use laptops and other gadgets that connect the internet wirelessly. As far as I know they are two different things. I'm no tech person so that's all I can tell you.

Do you have a desktop as well as a laptop?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 06-02-2011, 05:33 PM   #25
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

No, I quit using desktop computers altogether. I have a 17" laptop in front of me and a 15" laptop to my right. This size of laptop are considered desktop replacements. I take them with me to the mountains, too. I may, or may not, use them...but I take them. If only to have them in my safe possession in case of a burglary. If I could, I'd take my big screen HD-TV's, too!

Artlady at Rav
Old 06-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #26
bambi
Working the Gusset

Congratulations! I just took the leap, too, Dollyce and got mine yesterday. I have been playing with it and downloading just free books so far. I am finding it easier to research books with my Amazon account and download them from there than trying to research them with the Kindle.

Apparently, it will download PDFs from my computer, too so I will be interested to see how patterns look....Will have to figure that out soon.

I am looking forward to library lending coming in October!

Having fun so far. Hope you are, too.

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Bambi-M

I'm Bambi-M on Ravelry
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #27
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by bambi View Post
Apparently, it will download PDFs from my computer, too so I will be interested to see how patterns look....Will have to figure that out soon.
CONGRATS to you, too!!

I assume you prolly purchased the Kindle 3...not the Kindle DX?
The Kindle DX is $389...the Kindle 3 with 3G+Wifi is $189...and $164 with advertisements.

Anyway, yes...you connect your Kindle to your computer using the white USB cable. Your computer will take a minute to 'recognize' the software. Then OPEN FILES to view. It will present you with 3 or 4 folders in the Kindle window. You will then drag-drop your pdf's from your computer into the Kindle 'documents' folder.

Then eject the Kindle.

Then re-open your Kindle to HOME and you will see your pdf's!

HOWEVER, they are in the original pdf form And you cannot enlarge the type much. Some of them are very difficult to read. You can enlarge portions of a page...but not the entire page. It will enlarge 4 quadrants, but not two side-by-side. One at a time. So you can't read an entire sentence without readjusting the quadrant enlargement. It's rather inconvenient.

The best way to read and view your pdf's is to CONVERT them to the Kindle format. The USER GUIDE will tell you how to accomplish this. There are a couple of methods you can take. The converted pdf's are great.

Artlady at Rav
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
bambi (06-03-2011)
Old 06-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #28
offgridgirl
Knitting the Flap

Good for you! Glad you are enjoying the experience!!

Yes there are 3G nooks! I didn't like all the buttons on the Kindle so that's why I got the Nook. It also reads all formats so that I can read my friend's book who uses her own s/w. The new nook I think has a better web access reader than mine but it works if I want to go on line. I do download books from my Wifi connection and it works great. I can transfer books and etc back and forth between my laptop to the nook or read on my laptop.
The Following User Says Thank You to offgridgirl For This Useful Post:
Jan in CA (06-03-2011)
Old 06-03-2011, 01:26 PM   #29
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

I think I read somewhere that the Nooks discontinued the 3G capability. Not sure where I saw that...

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 06-03-2011, 07:42 PM   #30
Breezed
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Breezed
Congrats and welcome to the Kindle lovers club. I LOVE my kindle, and I wouldn't use anything else.

Breezed is offline   Reply With Quote