Old 05-31-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
mrspotter-tru
Ribbing the Cuff

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?@?@?@?
Seriously?

Okay, so I knit Easy Baby Cardigan from Joelle's Hoverson's book More Last Minute Knitted Gifts. Finally, something to do with the Spud and Chloe Sweater yarn in Jelly Bean.
Now, I am not really a flat, seam it together kind of knitter. If I can make it in the round and cut it, then you can pretty much bet, that is what I am going to do. BUT...this sweater is knit in one piece, and, and the just the side and sleeves are seamed together. Okay, I can deal with that.
So, last night, I get done seaming. I am pretty estatic. I just watched Romancing the Stone on Netflix, and the sweater is done in plenty of time for me to wrap it and send it on it's way to Spokane for my cousins baby shower.
As I am smoothing it out, I realize that the right side is inexplicably thinner and longer then the left side, plus the sleeve is wider then the left side. I am pretty sure it has something to do with the neck shaping, which is waaaaaay at the beginning of the sweater. Did I mention it is already seamed?
How in the heck can I fix it? Is it fixable? Pic attached. Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0085.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	55451  

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-31-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I'm not sure how that would be fixable..

Do you have more stitches on one side for that sleeve? Was it visible before you seamed it? I was thinking maybe if you take out the seaming on that side and seam it in a few stitches it'll pull up the size of the sleeve.. I'm not sure though.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I think you might have read the wrong size for the one front side or something. You'll probably have to take out the long skinny side, check your sts by counting the other side, and redo that. It's not as bad as having to redo the whole thing. And for the seams, you can pick up sts on the edges and do 3 needle BO instead.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
mrspotter-tru
Ribbing the Cuff

thank you both.

Suzee - I was thinking the same thing but I was counting, alot, because I can't even cut straight, much less knit two separate pieces evenly, even if they are attached to the back. Ugh, a do over, uh? Well, I guess it could be worse. Alot worse.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Next time, you could knit both fronts at the same time. As long as you don't knit them together that will get them the same length.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #6
mrspotter-tru
Ribbing the Cuff

Well, I got it unseamed, ripped and started again. I immediately realized that my problem was that I started counting late on some repeat increase rows, and then guessed how many I had done, and went from there, where i counted diligently on the other side. I also remember knitting for 7.5 inches instead of the 7, thinking "eh, what's a half an inch". Thanks again for all of the advice. I feeling much better now.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Quote:
thinking "eh, what's a half an inch"
Well, now you know....

One or 2 rows doesn't make a difference, but half an inch can, especially on a small item.