Old 06-09-2011, 05:56 PM   #11
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,379 Times in 3,062 Posts
It sounds like you have tons of knitting needles! Once you catalog them and see how many duplicates of the same size you have, you might consider donating the surplus to charities. Senior centers in my area love knitting needle and yarn donations and you may find others on the internet. As you get more experience knitting, you may also find that you prefer circulars or straight (circs for me!) and then it would be good to donate the needles you don't use to a center or charity.
You have a problem many would envy.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #12
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

I understand that it's sentimental and hard to part with. However, it would be more manageable if you'd just pick out some of every size to keep and donate the rest. If you don't know where to donate them, you could try contacting your church. If you're not religious, I'd suggest donating to an ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America) church. My ELCA church does tons of charity work involving knitting: baby hats, booties, sweaters, and blankets for kits to send to new moms in other countries. Prayer shawls, and mittens. I'm sure that some of the women in these knitting groups would be happy to get knitting needles.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:49 AM   #13
TrikkeAddict
1st Leg of the Journey

I have a 10 drawer rolling cart that is 15" x 15" and 39 inches tall. I separated each size of needles into gallon size ziplock bags - DPN, circulars, interchangeables, etc - and marked the size on the bag, then put them in a drawer. When I need needles I just grab the ziplock bag with that size on it and get out what I need. One drawer I have tape measures, stitch markers, etc. The bottom drawer I keep books and patterns. I can keep more than one size in a drawer because they are in the ziplock bags.

I just did this recently and so far it is working very well for me!! The trick is to put them back in the right ziplock bag when you're through using them!!

I agree with others that you should sort out what you will use and donate the rest.

Susan

OTN - afghan for DH (undid it for the 3rd time and started another pattern), baby sweater, hooded sweater jacket for me!!
TrikkeAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #14
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

I agree with whoever suggested the cardboard box that wine bottles come in, the one that has divided sections. Maybe you could get 2 of them and have 1 for crochet hooks and another for knitting needles.

And how to get circular needles unkinked is easy -- get a container of VERY hot water and place the needles down into it. Let them sit for a few minutes and then dry them off by holding one end in one hand that's holding a paper towel. Puuuulllll it thru the towel with the other hand, back and forth. The pulling motion will (hopefully) help it to straighten out the kinks.

Happy sorting!!!
knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:43 AM   #15
AniseRN
Ribbing the Cuff

When I was a kid and first learned to knit, I stored straight needles in an oatmeal box--the tall cylindrical cardboard one. I poked the needles through the lid into the box. That way the needle size on the knob still shows, but the rest of the needle is inside the box. (Nowadays I use circulars and dpns.)

Anise
AniseRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #16
Danisty
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by redbedhead View Post
to clarify, I have apparently more straight needles than you can shake a stick at.

Think of a box that a case of paper comes in, now fill it full of straight needles, all differnt sizes and lengths (I have found needles from size 1 to size 50). Now add another box HALF That size full of circular needles (at least 2 different sets of interchagables and the rest are individuals), Double pointed needles, and cable needles (I guess that is what they are they look like saftey pins of various sizes, widths, and lengths) Finally add a pencil box full of stitch markers, measuring tapes, sicssors, and Sewing needles. NOW Add another half paper case box of Crochet hooks!

Orginization is a big Problem, Plus I only have a 2 foot space in my bedroom to store it all in.

I inherited all of this from my Grandma when she passed on, and she had inherited some of them from her friend who passed on 2 years before her.
I got about that much from my Grandma too. It's insane what a person can collect over a lifetime. I also inherited her stash of extremely hideous yarn that I use for practicing new things.

Even though I have all of that, I never use any of it. I have the Knit Picks nickel-plated interchangeable set and use it almost exclusively. I really like Anise's idea though. I might try that just to organize everything I got from Grandma. I'm only holding onto it because I might run into someone who wants to learn to knit.
Danisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #17
cftwo
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by redbedhead View Post
to clarify, I have apparently more straight needles than you can shake a stick at.

Think of a box that a case of paper comes in, now fill it full of straight needles, all differnt sizes and lengths (I have found needles from size 1 to size 50). Now add another box HALF That size full of circular needles (at least 2 different sets of interchagables and the rest are individuals), Double pointed needles, and cable needles (I guess that is what they are they look like saftey pins of various sizes, widths, and lengths) Finally add a pencil box full of stitch markers, measuring tapes, sicssors, and Sewing needles. NOW Add another half paper case box of Crochet hooks!

Orginization is a big Problem, Plus I only have a 2 foot space in my bedroom to store it all in.

I inherited all of this from my Grandma when she passed on, and she had inherited some of them from her friend who passed on 2 years before her.
I'm a bit late to this thread, but having a similar need to organize (and a very small craft room), perhaps I can help.

For straights: I've always used a roll-up case like this: http://www.patternworks.com/productd...TICKS-CASE.htm You probably only need (maximum) 2 pairs of each size. Keep in mind that straights come in short and long lengths.

For double-pointed needles: I have a second roll-up case like this: http://www.patternworks.com/productd...EEDLE-CASE.htm This helps keep them organized. I've also seen pages like this, which would work, too: http://www.patternworks.com/productd...LE-POCKETS.htm I have a similar roll for my crochet hooks.

For circular needles: I keep them in individual sandwich bags and file them (in size order, of course) in a make-up case. I have, though, been drooling over these http://www.patternworks.com/productd...LE-POCKETS.htm because keeping them in a 3-ring binder would be even more organized. I don't have any interchangeables.

The safety-pin things are stitch holders. I keep stitch holders, markers, sewing stuff, and so on in stackable drawers like these: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-...White/15940600 You can also buy them 1 at a time. I have each drawer labeled with it's contents. You could also get an organizer with lots of little drawers - you'll usually find these in a hardware section (something like model 88206 at Lowes - the link wouldn't post) so you can keep all the little doo-dads separate.

Good luck! I know how irksome it can be not to have your stuff organized. (My mom calls it nuts. I call it peaceful.)
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cftwo For This Useful Post:
crazykntter83 (06-22-2011)
Old 06-22-2011, 01:17 PM   #18
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
My approach would be to start by separating the straights, circular and interchangeable needles. I would then start separating the straights by size. As I was working on the straights I would look for 6 to 12 sets that stood out, color, material, unique in my eye for some reason. These I would place in a clear glass vase. Fill the vase 1/2 to 2/3s full of rice and push the needles into the rice. This would be a display of the gift from your grandmother and look like a flower arrangement.

For the rest of the straights I would knit a "scarf" 6 to 8 inches wide in stockinette. I would then slide the needles through the scarf for hanging on the wall. Depending on the number of needles they could be by color, manufacture etc. If you have to many to hang the scarf could also be used to roll the needles up for storage.

A similar "scarf" could be used for circulars and DPNs.

I also use a fishing tackle wallet to store circular needles and notions. Think a small soft-sided 3 ring binder with zip-lock bags inside. They come in different sizes and with different style inter-pouches. An example can be found at.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop.../53043/-641877

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
Danisty (06-24-2011)
Old 06-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #19
Mazie
1st Leg of the Journey

I found this ( http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/tools/1708113/1-25#13 )
on Ravelry and thought of you. There is another one in the same thread and either, or both, might be the answer.
Mazie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazie For This Useful Post:
knitcindy (06-28-2011)
Old 06-24-2011, 12:19 PM   #20
Danisty
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by cacunn View Post
For the rest of the straights I would knit a "scarf" 6 to 8 inches wide in stockinette. I would then slide the needles through the scarf for hanging on the wall. Depending on the number of needles they could be by color, manufacture etc. If you have to many to hang the scarf could also be used to roll the needles up for storage.
Forget being a means of storage. Why didn't I think of this as a decoration?! I think wall hangings made of scarf patterns would be fantastic and it would be good for all those patterns that only really look good on one side! Is there a way to secure it but make it still look like it's in the process of being knitted? In other words, not bind it off, but still prevent it from falling apart if it got loose from the needle? Then you could just put hooks in the wall and place the needle with the knitting still attached on the hooks. It would be like a tapestry.
Danisty is offline   Reply With Quote