Old 06-13-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
bambi
Working the Gusset

Denise vs KP Zephyr acrylics
Anyone try these interchangeable needles head to head? Which ones do you like better?

I am starting to think of a second set of circ. I have the KP options and am very satisfied with them but I was thinking of ones I could take on an airplane. And, it is nice to have another pair available in case you are using one or you have to do 2 circs circular knitting.

TIA!

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Bambi-M

I'm Bambi-M on Ravelry
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-14-2011, 12:51 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,779 Times in 7,145 Posts
Just for the record I've used my nickel plated options on a plane, but since you're going international I guess I would use something else.

I've got a set of Denise and while the needle wasn't bad I didn't like the cable. It's too thick and not as slippery as the Options. As far as needles I haven't tried the Zephyrs though. Whichever you go with I suggest taking a few sets with you then check the others so if they did take them you wouldn't lose the whole set.

I have a friend that puts some DPN in a pencil box and they never say anything.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
bambi
Working the Gusset

I have a friend that had her addi clicks taken away.

I was thinking of DPNs but I don't do much socks knitting. I use them for sleeves and the like.

Tempted by the Zephyrs since I already have the nickle plated and they use the same cables.

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Bambi-M

I'm Bambi-M on Ravelry

Last edited by bambi : 06-14-2011 at 10:19 PM. Reason: typo
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
Mirl56
Instepping Out

I've got a set of Denise and a few of the Options.

I do like the Denise but I also agree with Jan about the cables, they are bulky/thick.

Honestly, since you already have a set from Knit Picks, I'd go with the Options.

And head to head, if I have the same size from each set, I'd use the Options.

Wanted to add - were I flying I wouldn't chance loosing any pieces of my sets. I'd buy bamboo or something in the size I was using.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks

Last edited by Mirl56 : 06-14-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mirl56 For This Useful Post:
bambi (06-14-2011)
Old 06-15-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
Mazie
1st Leg of the Journey

I have the Options and a set of Denise, The points on the Denise is way to blunt for my taste and the shop wouldn't take them back. If you like the tips on the Options, I would see if I could try a set of Denise before buying.
There is also the difference between plastic and metal. I really don't like the Denise, but that is just my opinion.
Mazie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazie For This Useful Post:
bambi (06-17-2011)
Old 06-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #6
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

If you're thinking about buying Zephyrs, I just got an email from Knitpicks saying they're $10 off this week.

http://www.knitpicks.com/BEM/BE110613.htm?elink=0--HTM
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatoldladyinpjs For This Useful Post:
bambi (06-17-2011)
Old 06-17-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
suecq
1st Leg of the Journey

You need to use the couponcode ZEPHYR11 to get the discount.
bambi (06-17-2011)
Old 06-17-2011, 05:23 PM   #8
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Love the ZEPHYRS. They are very nice, and IMHO they knit very similar to the Harmony.
I have 3 pairs of the tips only. Very nice. And very affordable. A great interchangeable investment for newbie knitters, too.

Hate Denise. It's that doggone cable mostly. It's a poor investment IMO. I know many knitters love 'em...but I'm not one of 'em. They were my first investment into interchangeables. That was in pre-Knitpicks-Options days.

The Boye Needlemaster interchangeable system was available before Denise...but they were way more money. I eventually purchased a set of them, too...for $40 at a Joann's sale. I've used them from time-to-time...but the cables are kinky.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
bambi (06-17-2011)
Old 06-17-2011, 08:18 PM   #9
Mazie
1st Leg of the Journey

And here is where I agree and disagree with Artlady. I agree the Denise are the wrong set to start your adventure into circular needles, however I do love my Needlemaster, cables and all. The price, with coupon is reasonable and there is the 'Hack' for cables. I, personally really, really like the Boye cables, I am knitting a sweater on them right now. I have also 'hacked' several sets of cables and haven't needed to use them. The knitpicks and Hack cables seem a bit flimsy to me and I really like the feel of the Boye Needlemaster cables. I should also mention that I have two sets of Boye and use the cables together. If you have the older set there is a bend in the head of the cables (the part that screws into the needle) and some people don't like how they work together. I, on the other hand, use one straight and one with the bend, works a treat. I have no opinion about the Zephers as I don't own any, however I have heard they break, in the smaller sizes, depending on how tight you knit.
I, personally, would go for the harmony wood needles, I have several pairs and like them well enough. Some people even go so far as to hide them in a pencil case, with no questions asked when traveling by air.
Mazie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazie For This Useful Post:
bambi (06-17-2011)
Old 06-17-2011, 10:02 PM   #10
Daylilydayzed
Turning the Heel

I use the Knit Picks Harmony circular needles and the Zephyrs tips. Shortly after I had bought the Try it set, I was using the Zephyr tips on the cable and one of the needle tips broke off. It was just the very tip that broke and left a flat spot. I emailed Knit Picks about it and they sent a replacement set of the Zephyr tips in the size I had , no questions asked. Any time I need another set of needles or circular needle, I will buy from Knit Picks. Love the service, that is very rare now days.
bambi (06-17-2011)