Old 06-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
Danisty
Ribbing the Cuff

Expert?
My husband calls me an expert all the time, but I find it so hard to believe, especially since he doesn't know the first thing about knitting. How much do you think you need to learn to be considered an expert? How do you know what level you've reached?
Danisty is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You don't need to worry about levels such as expert. I've been knitting a long time so I have scads of experience and can tackle just about anything. But there's some technqiues and projects I haven't done, just because I have no interest in them - fair isle, socks, that sort of things. So because I don't know everything probably means I'm not an expert, just experienced. And I learn new things still.

But when you can figure out your mistakes and fix them, aren't afraid to tackle anything, you're pretty advanced. And that's all you ever need to be.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
Danisty
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm usually not really worried about it. I'm mostly just curious. I'm on my third sweater and I really want to try this one for my mom, but it definitely looks like it will be taking it to a whole new level for me.

http://www.knitpicks.com/patterns/Ca...D75000225.html

I'm pretty accustomed to Fair Isle, but this is done in fingering weight yarn so it will take me forever and the idea that I then have to steek it in the front sort of scares the crap out of me.

I made a swatch and steeked it a couple weeks ago using the crochet method and it held together pretty good, but that's just not the same as steeking something you spent so many hours working on, ya know?
Old 06-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
redbedhead
Ribbing the Cuff

Why do you want to know if you are an expert? Just for personal validation or because a pattern dificulty said it was for experts?

If it is for personal validation then Suzeeq is probably dead on.
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
But when you can figure out your mistakes and fix them, aren't afraid to tackle anything, you're pretty advanced. And that's all you ever need to be.
If it is for a pattern, then just try it. If it is too confusing or you have to look up how to do to many of the abreviations, then you may not be experienced enough yet.

WOW, I just realized that by Suzeeq's definition above I would be advanced, but I am most definitly a beginner (only knitting since February, self taught by youTube and the videos here) in my mind!! Yet I can figure out my mistakes, can fix them (although somtimes that means froging back to my lifeline and starting over), and am not afraid to tackle anything as long as it looks like fun. I also spend a lot of time looking up videos of how to do stitches, and a LOT if time Froging and tinking.

I started with simple garter stitch scarves, and now I am doing socks (My brother asked me to make some for him for Christmas) and a fair isle scarf (It looked interesting) as well as scarves with drop stitches, scarves with decreases and increases, scarves with repeated patterns.....

Maybe I should learn to do shawls, or sweaters next.

As far as deciding when you are an expert. I think it depends on you. When you Feel you know enough that you could reasonably answer anyone's questions without alot of trouble. That is when you are an expert IMHO.
redbedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Any 'level' one might be at doesn't necessarily depend on the length of time knitting. My real second project was a top down raglan pullover with a cable down the front. Many people who've been knitting for a couple years might not even attempt that. That was during my first year of knitting, maybe a few months and I was in high school.

And I agree with your definition - "When you Feel you know enough that you could reasonably answer anyone's questions without alot of trouble. That is when you are an expert IMHO."

Old 06-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Quote:
"When you Feel you know enough that you could reasonably answer anyone's questions without alot of trouble. That is when you are an expert IMHO."
"...reasonably answer anyone's questions..." that is a tall order. There is so much to know about knitting. If a person asks the right questions anyone can answer them, but the range of questions is almost infinite and so the amount of information known would need to be too. In my experience the less you know the more you think you know. I've been knitting a long time and know a lot, but I could no way answer every question about knitting. Anyone who things they can is most likely wrong.

I remember the time when I thought I might someday know all there was to know, now I know enough to know I never will.

Am I an expert? On certain things...maybe.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Well, answer them reasonably and more or less correctly, based on your own experience.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:40 AM   #8
redbedhead
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Well, answer them reasonably and more or less correctly, based on your own experience.
Thanks, I need to add your words of wisdom to my definition of expert.

I also think the true experts are the ones who know they don't know everything.
redbedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #9
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Quote:
My husband calls me an expert all the time, but I find it so hard to believe, especially since he doesn't know the first thing about knitting.
I like your husband's admiration of your skills. A sweet husband does that. Mine does it too. My husband knows a little about knitting. I taught him one winter and he knit a bunch for a few months and none since then. It helps him to listen to my ramblings, but sometimes when he starts to tell me what someone's problem may be I sort of tune him out because he is talking craziness. (just enough knowledge to be dangerous as the saying goes) But sometimes he has a good idea about something.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #10
Danisty
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by MerigoldinWA View Post
I like your husband's admiration of your skills. A sweet husband does that. Mine does it too. My husband knows a little about knitting. I taught him one winter and he knit a bunch for a few months and none since then. It helps him to listen to my ramblings, but sometimes when he starts to tell me what someone's problem may be I sort of tune him out because he is talking craziness. (just enough knowledge to be dangerous as the saying goes) But sometimes he has a good idea about something.
I explain things to him all the time and he always pays attention. I'd just write him off as being biased, but when he can actually respond with an accurate list of the things I know, I wonder if I'm being a bit too modest (and I'm also impressed with is memory!). I've certainly done a lot of things in the last couple of years that I once thought were too advanced to think about. I certainly do not think I'm an expert, but his comments got me curious.