Old 06-21-2011, 08:24 AM   #1
NorthernIrelandKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

Knitting Morse Code
I am thinking of knitting morse code into a sampler or wash cloth and am wondering if I should use blackberry stitch or make a bobble for the dots. I thought I would slip 3 stitches with the yarn in front for the dashes, but am not sure if that would make a well-defined looking dash. I am also trying to decide if I should use 2 colours, with the morse code bit in a contrasting colour or if the code would show up well enough against a garter stitch background.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Gillian
NorthernIrelandKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-21-2011, 11:28 PM   #2
cmhoover1
1st Leg of the Journey

I do a lot of intarsia and it looks best on stockingette rather than garter stitch. I like the bobble idea for the dots. The dashes could be just two or three stitches in a different color. You could draw out a pattern on some graph paper. It never hurts to try it out-what's the worst thing that could happen?
cmhoover1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
Mirl56
Instepping Out

Have you seen this yet? The new Knitty has a pair of mittens called Morse Code.
http://knitty.com/ISSUEff11/PATTmorsecode.php

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:25 AM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,469 Times in 3,145 Posts
Here's a pattern for a dishcloth in Morse code (although it seems a little repetitious). It does give you the basic idea for the dots and dashes however and uses your idea for two colors.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:02 AM   #5
NorthernIrelandKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

I have experimented with both the blackberry stitch and the bobble, against a garter stitch background and a stockinette background, but can't decide which looks better. The idea I had for the dashes - yarn forward, slip 3, yarn back - doesn't look very good - the yarn just hangs loosely. I can't find the washcloth I knit - the pattern you suggested, Salmonmac - to see how they looked in that. It's around somewhere as I saw it recently. I did try using a different colour, but that didn't look very effective either.

Marilyn, the mitts look very pretty, but I don't see any clearly defined morse on them.

CMHoover1, I haven't quite got to the graph paper stage - I think I'll wait until I decide what stitches to use.

Still open to suggestions.

Gillian
NorthernIrelandKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote