Old 07-12-2011, 09:32 PM   #1
knittingmusic94
Casting On

What is ravelry?
I was thinking about joining Ravelry, but have no idea what it is. I've heard of it on here some and was wondering if ya'll could help.
knittingmusic94 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-12-2011, 11:04 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Ravelry is a knitting community--much larger and more elaborate than our cozy Knitting Help. It's a great place to find patterns, see what people have done with different patterns, find yarns you may be looking for, etc.

My problem with it (and it's not a problem, really, just me) is that there are sooooo many different groups and forums that it's hard to keep track.

I do go there for ideas and patterns, though. By all means, join. It doesn't cost anything and it gives you access to lots of pictures and projects.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:35 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
Ohhhh... join it for finding patterns and looking up yarns for sure! They do have lots of groups..or forums, but I much prefer Knitting Help for it's warmer closer knit group. I use Ravelry for pattern and yarn search almost exclusively now.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:53 PM   #4
knittingmusic94
Casting On

Thanks! I guess I may as well join.
knittingmusic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:49 AM   #5
Krystal
Turning the Heel

Oh definitely.

It's a great place to hunt down patterns. It's nice to see patterns based on yarn weight, style etc. I love being able to see how other people knit the same pattern and reading their notes on the pattern.

I never utilize the forums there, I keep KH for that... though I haven't been as active lately as I'd like.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:48 AM   #6
Danisty
Ribbing the Cuff

I've never used their forums (or even posted my own projects that I'm working on), but I use them to look for patterns. I've found some pretty cool stuff there and a lot of it is free.
Danisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:08 PM   #7
redbedhead
Ribbing the Cuff

I love the notebook feature they have where you can input all the needle sizes you have so you can keep track if there is a needle size you don't have and need to purchase or if you have to many of one size that you can get rid of.

I also love that you can put all of your stash yarn in the notebook, so that you can stay organized and remember what you have, and how much you have (especially since I do not have it all stored together, I am still trying to find a place for all the knitting stuff, as oposed to the cross-stitch, mosaic, stained glass, needlepoint, crewel, etc.)
redbedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #8
Doublereeder2
Working the Gusset

Although I belong to a few groups, I rarely post. I just look at patterns, projects and yarns. It is a fabulous resource when you are searching for a new project or checking out other people's FOs of your project.
Knitting Help is a lovely community - Ravelry is way too big to be a community IMHO.

Aw, gee - c'mon and see: www.knittinreed.blogspot.com
Doublereeder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:04 PM   #9
lmarie
Casting On

I like beingon Ravelry because it gives me a place to post pics of my knitting and to record the details of all my projects.
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #10
suecq
1st Leg of the Journey

The nice thing about Ravelry is it can be whatever you want it to be. Some use it for the forums. There must be a forum on every subject possible and if there isn't you can start one. Some use it for the organization. You can keep a list(database) of your finished projects, books, magazines, needles, yarn... Some use it for the library function of looking up patterns and different yarn. Some use it for the store function of purchasing patterns or getting free ones.
I love being able to pull up a list of all the patterns I have in books and magazines I own.