Old 08-04-2011, 12:13 AM   #1
Olha
Turning the Heel

How fast do you knit?
Have you ever timed yourself?

The question was triggered by an observation that I like to knit slowly. After I got a bit more efficient, the process became more important than the result. And even though rushing makes me more stressed, it seemed like a waste of time to do it slower than possible, right?

So I timed myself to see how much time I 'waste' exactly. Surprising result -- I knit about 19 stitches in 20 seconds if I try to do it fast but even if I slow down, it's still 14 stitches in 20 second in St st. To double check, did it again in a faster mode, was struggling with one stitch that was trying to escape and got only 16 stitches in 20 sec.

Verdict: rushing is not worth it

What is your experience?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-04-2011, 07:23 AM   #2
TrikkeAddict
1st Leg of the Journey

I've never timed myself - all I know is that when I'm tired it feels like I'm knitting in slow motion, when I concentrate on what I'm doing I knit slowly, and when I'm watching television and not paying attention I knit faster.

OTN - afghan for DH (undid it for the 3rd time and started another pattern), baby sweater, hooded sweater jacket for me!!
TrikkeAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #3
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to crazykntter83
I've never timed myself or anything, but I think I'm a pretty steady knitter under normal circumstances. If I'm more tired, then I tend to go pretty slow. And for some odd reason, I've noticed that I can purl a lot faster that I can knit.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I don't time myself either. I just started a project on size 17s with worsted weight and I go a lot slower than with size 11s or smaller because the tips are short and hard to hold on to. But I'm pretty fast on regular size needles (9 to 13s)

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
trvvn5
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to trvvn5
I've never timed myself either. But I have definately noticed that I have a comfortable speed and when I try to push beyond that I start making mistakes and have to go back and redo things anyway. So, I completely agree. Pushing to go faster just isn't worth it.

FO: Lacey Stole, Library Capelet, Dead Fish Hat, Tree Bark Scarf
trvvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #6
nonny2t
Instepping Out

That's unusual. Most people slow way down purling.

Originally Posted by crazykntter83 View Post
I've never timed myself or anything, but I think I'm a pretty steady knitter under normal circumstances. If I'm more tired, then I tend to go pretty slow. And for some odd reason, I've noticed that I can purl a lot faster that I can knit.
nonny2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
nonny2t
Instepping Out

People have told me I knit fast, but frankly, I don't see it. I am a lefty so I have to change things quite abit to read patterns and such, slows you down. I can whiz right through something if I listen to an audiobook though, which I think is funny.
nonny2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #8
Wanda Witch
Turning the Heel

I've never timed myself but I notice when I first pick up the work (usually at the beginning of a row) I am a tad slower until I get out of second gear into high. I wish I could purl as fast as I knit but that is slower as I watch it more closely, I guess. If I try to 'hurry up' I know I will make boo-boos and tinking is not fun. So, relax and enjoy the ride.
Wanda Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
That's unusual. Most people slow way down purling.
Not necessarily, depends on which style you do. I knit english and I think my purling may go a tad faster than knits; I can see where combo style might be faster on the purls too.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #10
Olha
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Not necessarily, depends on which style you do. I knit english and I think my purling may go a tad faster than knits; I can see where combo style might be faster on the purls too.
I purl faster than knit too... and I use continental style. It might be considered 'wrong' in North America, however it is OK in Europe. I checked educational videos to make sure So, I knit through the back loop (my mom calls them 'legs' as if the stitch is standing over the needle) and move the yarn behind the stitch that is worked. My stitches are sitting differently on the needle as well, the back loop is closer than the front loop... I am not sure where I am going with that Anyway, I think the purl movement is simpler in my case, so yeah, it's possible.