Old 09-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
Breezed
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Breezed
joining in the round
Hi everyone,
I am crocheting my first hat in the round by joining each row, instead of continuous spirals. The issue I have is a very visible "seam" that's quite unattractive, and worse, uneven because it curves off where the increases stop.

I can't seem to find any solution I can understand. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to avoid this?? I am finishing the hat as is, but I would like to know so I can make better ones.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Breezed is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-07-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
Antares
Working the Gusset

One thing I've done that works fairly well is to make the first stitch one stitch shorter than what's called for.

So, for example, if you are working in dc, the first stitch on a new row (the starting stitch) would be a ch 2 rather than a ch 3. For a hdc, it would be a ch 1. Note that you may have to make these chains a little looser than normal--the idea is to get the stitches up to the desired height without creating the hole that the original called-for stitch does.

Lily Chin then suggests that rather than counting these chains as your first stitch, you should go ahead and make the actual stitch (dc, hdc, or whatever) into the first stitch. Just be careful on your next pass not to count the chain stitches as a stitch!

You might try this and see how it works in the round.

I *think* I've just used the shortened chain as the first stitch, though, without problems, but try it both ways and see what you think.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
Breezed
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Breezed
Well, the pattern was all hdc, and each row started with a chain 1 anyway. I finished the hat; but now I have to find a creative way to try and hide this seam, if it's even possible. Maybe I'll post a picture in a thread for creative ideas.

Thank you for the info. I'll try to practice some more, with what you said.

Breezed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:58 PM   #4
DogCatMom
Knitting the Flap

Interesting. I've made a bunch of hats (over 30) to the same overall pattern, made in joined rounds, not a spiral.

The seam is discernible, but not that visible/intrusive/objectionable. Is it possible that you're unconsciously tightening the stitches at the beginning or ending of the rounds, thereby making the join more of a "feature" than it's meant to be?

And, no, I haven't kept all 30 hats! I have maybe seven, but one only sees the light of day at Christmas, and a couple of the others are for sleeping (we do our best NOT to turn on the heat or to keep it as low as we can). Most of the hats have gone to a Chemo Hat program; now they're going to another service program. That way, it doesn't matter so much that they're on the same pattern.

DCM
DogCatMom is offline   Reply With Quote