Old 09-07-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
sheryla
Casting On

mobius twist
I am trying to knit a mobius and am using an easy pattern, but I can't get the twist. I use circular needles for all my knitting, so I am comfortable with them, but just can;t get the twist. Can someone please tell me how to do it. I am to twish the first 3 stitches. Thanks in advance. Sheryla
sheryla is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Well, there's actually a special cast on for mobius so it knits out from the center. It sounds like maybe you're pattern is a simpler "faux" mobius maybe?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVnTda7F2V4

It would help if you'd give us a link to the pattern if possible or at least the name of the pattern. Makes it easier when asking questions.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,373 Times in 3,056 Posts
If it's not actually mobius knitting which as Jan says, knits from the center out to both edges at the same time, then you just need to put a twist in the sts. You know how they always tell you not to twist the sts when you join them to knit a hat or tube in the round? Well, in this case, line the sts up with no twist and then deliberately introduce a twist into the cast on sts. See the video under Free Videos at the top of the page, Advanced Techniques, Circular knitting. Do as the video shows but before joining the sts, twist the sts once around the right needle.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
KarenFromOhio
Casting On

I had the same issue a few months ago them someone suggested I try twisting the stitches on the right needle and it worked perfectly! Sounds like you might be knitting the same mobius I'm working on.Let me know how it's going!
KarenFromOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

The one mobius pattern I saw called for knitting the piece on straight needles like a scarf. It was bound off, then it was twisted and the two ends seamed together. You could probably do this to appear seamless with a provisional cast on. Twist it and join the two live edges together with a kitchener stitch.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote