Old 09-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #11
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
Huh. I have no idea what cuboid or cubic means in this because they both look about the same to me. Look at each one in the same size. Here's the other link -
http://www.yarn.com/webs-knitters-pr...r-needle-tips/

I've read on Ravelry that they are made by the same company. And a couple of comments that note that Knitter's Pride is the US version of KnitPro. So who knows. We've seen stuff like this before with other products. I guess more info will come out.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #12
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
The CUBICS tips (the "cuboid" shape) are basically square knitting needles, like the Kollage needles. They advertise that it's less stressful on your hands and wrists. If you look real careful at the expanded view, you can see the square "cuboid" shape.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #13
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
The CUBICS tips (the "cuboid" shape) are basically square knitting needles, like the Kollage needles. They advertise that it's less stressful on your hands and wrists. If you look real careful at the expanded view, you can see the square "cuboid" shape.
OH! I see..those are interesting!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 09-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #14
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
If these two sets really are made in the same facility....same country of origin, same manufacturer....it's really a back-stabbing business tactic....right into KnitPicks back!...but ya never know, maybe there was an agreement of exclusive rights for just "X" amount of years, then becoming open to other companies but under different names and minor cosmetic differences.
No backstabbing at all. The Knitpicks needles are manufactured for them by a company in the far east somewhere and are the same as the Knit Pros sold in Europe. Webs Knitter's Pride are probably manufactured for them by the same company, to their specifications as regards colors etc. They're all similar because they're made in the same plant, just tailored to the separate entities requirements.

It's like handpaintedyarn.com's yarn comes out of the same mill as manos de uruguay and possibly malabrigo as well as being sold by an ebay store (or they used to be). This is very common in the manufacturing world - at one time Kenmore products were mady by Whirlpool, don't know if they still are. It's called OEM in the business and you'd be surprised what brand names are made by what other brand name.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:25 PM   #15
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
No no, I didn't mean to imply that WEBS is backstabbing KnitPicks.

I meant the manufacturer might be considered a back stabber.

Case in point: in America, well known cappuccino & latte companies will sell a hard working family a "franchise" on 3rd & James, without disclosing that they're going to sell another franchise in a few months on 6th & James. The 3rd Ave franchise owner probably paid top dollar, is very disillusioned, and feels backstabbed. (not everyone can get a "distance" clause) He won't be pulling the profit he planned, what with having to split the "traffic" with the (same-name) coffee shop on 6th. I've talked to a few, not necessarily coffee franchises ( I used that as an example)....but anything such as sandwiches, tacos, etc. You name it.

Here in the Greater Seattle Area we have same-name coffee shops 2 blocks apart. I can literally walk to 4 of those same-name coffee shops from my house!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:39 PM   #16
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
No I don't think it's the manufacturer being underhanded at all. They were already making the Knit Pros when Knit picks approached them to ask if they'd make the Options line for them as well. They're like everyone else in this weak global economy, just trying to keep the door open.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:01 AM   #17
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

The way I see it is the competition will encourage companies like Knitpicks to see how important something like sizes printed on the needles are to the customer. It's not like a Walmart causing a Mom&Pop store to go out of business.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 12-09-2011, 04:16 PM   #18
doomchicken
Casting On

These are the same needles as the Knitpicks. Knitpicks lost their exclusivity contract with the company that makes the needles. They are actually BETTER in that they have the size stamped on the needles, and the Knitpicks don't, the cables are better, and they have a 16" cable and the Knitpicks do not. The joint is great, i have never had yarn stick, i have yet to have one come unscrewed while knitting, and they are really pointy which is helpful if you do lace and have to knit several stitches together. I have always been an addi lover, and i like these just as much!
doomchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to doomchicken For This Useful Post:
Jan in CA (12-09-2011)
Old 12-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #19
Wanda Witch
Turning the Heel

I have purchased some of the Knitter's Pride in the cubic shape, along with several different cable lengths. I really do like the smooth join, no snagging yarn and the tips are quite pointy, which I prefer. I was using them on a new project, but the cubics were not as smooth as the Harmony needles, so I did change to the Harmonys after a number of rows. I have had cables come loose with the KnitPicks and also separate entirely from the join. The cable(s) on the Knitter's Pride worked just fine and felt as flexible as KP do. I tried interchanging the cables and they did fit the KP's needles also. I do like the fact the Knitter's Pride comes in a 16" length, which I ordered, as I have sleeves-in-the-round to do on another project. I just might order some of the Knitter's Pride in the metal and see how they compare with Options, which I really like.

It will be interesting to see if anyone has a cable separation problem with the newer brand. Hope not.
Wanda Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #20
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

I didn't realize the tips were shorter so they would accomodate a 16". I rarely use them anymore preferring ML anyway. Good to know we have a choices now for reasonably priced needles.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~