Old 09-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
IslandTime
1st Leg of the Journey

edges
On the web I've seen people say to slip the 1st stitch on every row, to keep the edges from being sloppy. Is that pretty much standard practice? Or is it simply a way to improve the results if you're having a problem - maybe a knitter who uses a really loose tension would need to do it? Or do some stitch patterns need it - open ones?

Or maybe it's a good idea for an exposed edge, like a scarf? Might help resist stretching - ?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,763 Times in 7,131 Posts
It creates a chain like edge which looks very nice. It's really personal choice whether you want to use it or not. Best thing to do is test it on small swatches.

It's not standard practice and you don't need to do it on anything that will be seamed.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
IslandTime (09-17-2011)
Old 09-16-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
Wanda Witch
Turning the Heel

I'm certain it is a personal preference but I always slip the first stitch as it does make the edge look better and I find easier to p/u stitches, if necessary later on. I also knit into the back of the last stitch unless it is on a purl row in which case I do the usual method. I would suggest experimenting on swatches and see what you prefer. Good luck. You've picked the right place to ask questions, by the way.
Wanda Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:20 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It should only be used on an exposed edge, like on a scarf. If the edge is going to be seamed, then don't slip. When I slip the edge sts they come out looser and messier than if I just knit or purl them. I work the first st, pull the yarn just a little and do the next couple sts just a wee bit tighter. The edges are nice and even and yours can be too with some practice.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:29 PM   #5
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

It also makes it easier to pick up stitches on a sock heel turn.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:12 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
On a sock heel yes, but on an edge it can cause problems. The rate of picking up edge sts is usually 3 sts out of 4 rows or 2 out of 3. Since the sl st spans 2 rows it's hard to pick up 3 and skip one to get a 3 out of 4 rate.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
IslandTime (09-17-2011)
Old 09-16-2011, 11:48 PM   #7
Olha
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
The rate of picking up edge sts is usually 3 sts out of 4 rows or 2 out of 3. Since the sl st spans 2 rows it's hard to pick up 3 and skip one to get a 3 out of 4 rate.
So how do you pick up stitches then, just skip every 4th or 3rd? Doesn't it create holes? Somehow I got away with picking up through the edge stitch that would mean 1 out of 2 but distributed evenly. My theory is that bulky yarn that I usually use fills the edge stitch holes. I figured that out when I tried this trick with the medium weight yarn (unsuccessfully) and had to do a set in sleeve instead.

ETA: my other theory --- it would still work if I used smaller needles

On the topic, I always slip the first and purl the last to create this edge stitch on both sides. It's a personal preference, for sure. As suzeeq pointed out, they span over two rows so it has certain advantages. But you can do without it too.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:30 AM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,763 Times in 7,131 Posts
Originally Posted by Olha View Post
So how do you pick up stitches then, just skip every 4th or 3rd? Doesn't it create holes?
I've never had a problem picking up stitches and skipping one. Most patterns are that way for button bands or when the pattern has direction changes where you pick up stitches.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
IslandTime (09-17-2011)
Old 09-17-2011, 06:20 AM   #9
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,422 Times in 3,101 Posts
Picking up 2 out of 3sts or 3 out of 4sts won't give you holes and it will avoid getting an edge that is too wide and ripples. I have heard of picking up one st for every row and then immediately decreasing to the number of sts set by the pattern but I've not tried that yet.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:59 AM   #10
Olha
Turning the Heel

Oh, I am sure it works if you guys do it -- I've seen your work Just want to make sure I get it right.

Also, can I hijack this thread for one more related question? How do you pick up stitches around the neckline or the armhole where there is a decrease? The edge stitch creates a neat slope between short rows, like a piece of plywood put on the stairs But it also creates a rather big opening and sometimes I have to deal with it later, usually when weaving in the ends.

So how do you do it? Pick up every stitch when there is a decrease? And how does it work together with skipping one?