Old 09-17-2011, 09:23 AM   #11
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,465 Times in 3,141 Posts
I go much more free form (no set ratio) when I pick up around the neck of a sweater but I do avoid areas where there's a gap due to a decrease. Usually I pick up one or maybe even two sts over from the decrease so that I'm not pulling a st to create a hole. Of course you need to work these pick ups into a smooth curve so they don't look random.
(And if I get a hole, I do just as you do and fill it in when I weave in the ends.)
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
IslandTime (09-17-2011), Olha (09-17-2011)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #12
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
No it doesn't leave holes to skip a st when picking up. For example, if your gauge is 4 sts and 6 rows per inch in stockinette, that's the 2 to 3 ratio. If you pick up in every stitch, you'll get way too many sts along the edge (which is the end st of the row) and it'll be ruffley. If you pick up every other st, that's too few and the edge will pucker. Garter st ratio is 2 to 1, so you can pick up every other st there. Slipping the edge sts is more likely to leave a hole than not I've noticed; picking up in that slip st can pull the next st and leave a gap between the edge and the body.

About the neckline... Most people will say to do the inc one st in from the edge so you have a stitch to pick up in. I don't, but you can still pick up in it anyway. For the back neck, you pick up every stitch, the same for the front if the sts are sort of level rather than like a V neck. But along the sides you would probably have to do the 2 for 3 pickup as it's slanted rather than straight up and down. Practice it a little - CO 10 sts and work a few rows with a dec on one side for a couple inches. Then pick up all the way around your piece so you see how it works on a slanted and straight edge - picking up in the CO edge you'd pick up every st.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
IslandTime (09-17-2011), Olha (09-17-2011)
Old 09-17-2011, 11:33 AM   #13
IslandTime
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Wanda Witch View Post
You've picked the right place to ask questions, by the way.
You've got that right - unreal!!!

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #14
IslandTime
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
It should only be used on an exposed edge, like on a scarf. If the edge is going to be seamed, then don't slip. When I slip the edge sts they come out looser and messier than if I just knit or purl them. I work the first st, pull the yarn just a little and do the next couple sts just a wee bit tighter. The edges are nice and even and yours can be too with some practice.
I think my edges look fine Like you, I always make sure the 1st st is nice & snug - I just wanted to know what most people do and why - and I sure found out!
Old 09-17-2011, 11:57 AM   #15
IslandTime
1st Leg of the Journey

My 1 simple question about edges produced all these wonderful responses - turned into a virtual lesson on a related subject I knew I was going to have to ask about sometime -

This is such a fantastic place I am SO glad I found it. I can't believe that at my age ("mature" ) I don't have one friend living in the same city, who knits.

Thank you!