Old 09-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
polyxena11
Casting On

Looking for a teddy sized hooded jumper/sweater
Hello,

I am new to the forum and this is my first post.
I have been scouring the internet for a hooded jumper/sweater pattern which is teddy sized. I've found some baby sizes but they are still too large and I am not skilled enough to adjust the pattern smaller.

I also need photos or videos on how to do the hoodie part. I am not an advanced knitter but I can follow quite well. I'm actually surprised that this is not that readily available.

I want to knit a hoodie for my daughters sock monkey. I've seen it elsewhere but from what I gather she is not sharing her secrets.

Surely someone here must know where I can find a pattern for a dolls hoodie?

Thanks.

Lina
polyxena11 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,375 Times in 3,058 Posts
There are several on Ravelry (free to join) in different sizes. Perhaps one of them will work with the sock monkey.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
I found a bunch of cardigans and pullovers, but only one hoodie. If you're not on Ravelry do join. It's free.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...age-patch-doll

I don't think there's a video just for the hood. When you get to that part just ask and we'll help if we can.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:21 PM   #4
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

I found this one.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...hooded-sweater
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

You can also use an American girl doll pattern for a cardigan. When you get to the neckline, pick up stitches all around. Knit these stitches straight back and forth in garter stitch so you won't have an uneven or curled edge. Try it on the sock monkey until it's the right height. Fold it in half lengthwise. Cast off with a three needle bind off. The third needle used to bind this off can be a smaller size. The hood will be pointy, but sufficient. Depending on your skill level, you can also round this point off. About an inch before you reach the proper height, fold the hood in half lengthwise to find the center point. Place a marker. Two stitches before the marker, k2tog. For the two stitches after the marker, ssk. Knit second round. Continue with this pattern until you've reached the proper hood height, then do the three needle bind off. Hope this helps.

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.co...ls_clothes.php
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
Jane9898
Casting On

Hood on a buttoned vest
I have a similar question about how to knit a cute pointy hood on a vest for my son.

I have browsed through the links above but I don't seem to find anything I want, or I can't find boy size hooded vest for free.

This is my first knitting garment and I have completed the vest for 90% except for the hood and the front band.

Can someone tell me how to knit a hood please?

I tried knitting straight up and fold half, but it won't do it box we need the pointy side deeper n longer while the button side shorter.... Please guide me!!!! I'm desperately looking for links everywhere but don't seem to be able to find what I want.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEff11/PATTundercurrent.php

This is very close to my request, to knit from neckline, but it isn't pointy. What's the trick of making a pointy hood? How many stitches to increase after certain inches from neckline? And do I need decreases before fold half to sew?

--> I don't know if this works but I wish:
A point hood
Knit from neckline
No sewing at the back of the hood or top ( but I know it's almost impossible or very difficult to a new knitter like me,..... Anyway, I would be grateful to hear this from you n I will accept it

Ps. I don't like to knit a piece and seam it on the vest, but if that's the easier way then I shall do it. Kindly guide me with both ways if u don't mind!

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you

Ps2. I can't start any new thread but I can post on others thread, I'm using ipad1 with safari, is this the reason?

Last edited by Jane9898 : 07-06-2012 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Forgot to include the most important questions
Jane9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #7
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,375 Times in 3,058 Posts
It depends on how pointy you want it to be. You may have to experiment with binding off most of the sts and continuing on a row on the center 6-12sts then binding off a few more on each side and doing a row with say 4-8sts, then binding them off to make a slope up to a point. You can extend this by starting with more center sts and taking several rows to finally bind off. I would practice on a swatch to get the number of sts right for your yarn and needles. If you do it this way, you'll likely have to cast off and sew the seam across the top. I've made hoodies but been happy with a straight seam that can be connected with a 3-needle bind off.
Good luck with your hoodie!
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:50 AM   #8
Jane9898
Casting On

Fthank you sooooo much for your contribution n I find it very practical n useful.
However I am so worried on leaving experiencing the trial n error bcosim doing some color strips n ribbing the stitches so it's too much for me to guess how many inches exactly should I bid off ...

Could u pls guide me on how to do it pls?

I have started my own thread in the link below, kindly help me with my baby steps

Thank you thank you thank you

Apologies for the abbv
Old 07-07-2012, 01:51 AM   #9
Jane9898
Casting On

http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...85#post1351685