Old 09-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #1
Bekah
Casting On

New to knitting, are buttonholes a good idea?
Hello Knitters!
I am a relatively new knitter and for my first actual project, with designated yarn and new, specific needles and everything, I've decided on a scarf for my husband. It's pretty straightforward.

He would like a button or two though, with buttonholes, so that it can be buttoned right up around his neck, instead of tying it. Buttonholes in knitting intimidate me.

Would you all suggest this kind of addition on a first project? All I know is knit and purl and I still have to refer to the videos occasionally, if it's been awhile.

Also, if buttonholes wouldn't be too difficult, could I just find any pattern that has buttonholes in it and follow those directions, or should I try to find a pattern for a scarf like the one I am trying to make?

Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it!
Bekah is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-23-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Sure you can do buttonholes on the first project. About 3 or 4 sts from the end k2tog, YO and finish the row. On the next row, knit into the YO like a regular stitch and you've got a buttonhole. If that's not big enough for your buttons, do k2tog, yo twice, ssk and finish the round. Then on the double yo, knit into one loop and knit the other loop through the back leg (instead of the front leg like other sts), or purl into the other loop.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

You could also use any hat pattern, either straight knitting or on double points or circulars. Use the yarn, needle size, and number of cast on stitches the pattern calls for. Knit this for about 12 inches and cast off. If double points or circulars are intimidating for you, you can knit this as a straight piece and sew it up. I make circle scarves, also known as cowls, for myself for winter. I can wear it around my neck and pull it up over my face when it's cold and the wind blows.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:57 AM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,500 Times in 3,175 Posts
This is the perfect time to learn how to do a buttonhole. There's a video for one simple buttonhole here. You can make the buttonhole over as many sts as you like, depending on the size of your buttons (and remember that knitting is very stretchy so the buttonhole should be slightly smaller than the button). There's a prettier, but more complicated buttonhole on this website under the Free Videos tab at the top of the page, Advanced Techniques.
I love learning something new with every project. Enjoy knitting the scarf!
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Another simple button hole is to just do a yarn over. This creates a hole in your work that will allow you to fasten a button.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I mentioned that in my other post, but you also have to do a dec with it or you'll get an extra stitch.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

True. I forgot about that. Thanks for pointing it out. Don't want to get her on the wrong track.