Old 09-27-2011, 01:21 AM   #1
SugarBob62
Casting On

Sore hands/wrists/fingers? haha
I don't really know if this is a coincidence or what since I just kinda started getting into knitting regularly.

But...do any of you fellow knitters get sore fingers or anything? My right wrist kinda hurts a little and my right ring finger.

Is there some kinda hand stretches you can do before knitting to prevent this?? Or use like one of those squeeze stress balls or something. OR anything at all to prevent this??? I'm afraid I'm going to get carpal tunnel or finger tendonitis or something over time...
SugarBob62 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-27-2011, 02:25 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,783 Times in 7,146 Posts
Sore hands is common if you knit a lot without breaks. Stop and stretch your hands every hour or so.

I also find knitting with certain size needles and/or yarn can make them hurt more. I think we tend to become more tense with certain projects, too.

Take some time to relax and do something else with your hands sometimes too. Read a book, play ball, go for a walk....

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:22 AM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
Like any new physical endeavor, knitting is going to use muscles in a way that they're not used to, and you're going to get soreness in the beginning.

You can stretch, take breaks, etc., like Jan said. Your muscles will get stronger and adapt to the movements and after a while will feel weird if you don't knit a bit each day.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #4
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

It hurts if you're just starting knitting and you're not used to it. It goes away once you're conditioned. It can also flare up if you've been doing a lot of knitting without a break, like having a few days off from work and knitting all day. Your hands can also hurt if you're switching from one method of knitting to another, like English to Continental. My Eastern European knitting uses more wrist rotation than some of the others. I use Aspercreme, a topical cream, on my hands. It's not appropriate for those with aspirin allergies. I also stop knitting for a few days if it gets bad.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:37 AM   #5
SDK
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by SugarBob62 View Post
I don't really know if this is a coincidence or what since I just kinda started getting into knitting regularly.

But...do any of you fellow knitters get sore fingers or anything? My right wrist kinda hurts a little and my right ring finger.

Is there some kinda hand stretches you can do before knitting to prevent this?? Or use like one of those squeeze stress balls or something. OR anything at all to prevent this??? I'm afraid I'm going to get carpal tunnel or finger tendonitis or something over time...
Here is an older post on another thread regarding Portuguese Knitting. The style is supposed to be easier on the hands and wrists. If your hands don't straighten themselves out with practice you might want to give it a shot.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=78791
SDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:26 PM   #6
CherylT
Casting On

soar hands/wrists/fingers
Here is a blog that may answer your question on hand/wrists exercises:

http://atightknitgathering.blogspot....ing-pains.html

Remember to take many breaks in between knitting
CherylT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:13 AM   #7
SugarBob62
Casting On

Hmm interesting, I watched all those Portugese knitting videos. I dunno though that looks a lot more complicated hahhhahaha. I might have to give that a whirl someday. I didn't realize there were SO many different methods of knitting though.

And I will definitely try the stretching! Thanks for the tips.

I've actually just picked up a crochet project again (haven't done that for a really long time) figured maybe I'd work some different hand muscles doing that for a bit
SugarBob62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:16 AM   #8
MomoKnits
Ribbing the Cuff

i started wearing a wrist brace because my wrist started to hurt a lot, mostly from work. I guess lifting 25# pans of potatoes are tough on the joints Now I wear the brace if I knit or crochet to limit the movement a little.
MomoKnits is offline   Reply With Quote