Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
teresab
Ribbing the Cuff
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 31
Thanks: 17
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
help with multiples
I want to make an afghan but need to increase the stitch count since I don't want to use big needles (17). It's Leisure Arts "Big Book of Quick Knit Afghans, pg 12, "Comfy" (basketweave). It looks like the multiple is 8 which is included in (), but when I go to do the math, I can't figure it out. It has a 12 st border on each edge. I want to use Size 10.5 needles which gives me 3.25 sts per in. and patt calls for 2.25 sts per in. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Teresa
teresab is offline   Reply With Quote

 

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-05-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montana
Posts: 27,765
Thanks: 160
Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Just increase in multiples of 8 sts, the border sts will already be accounted for. Multiply your 3" times the width you want to get the approximate number of sts. Then see how many increments of 8 you need from the original CO to get close to that number.
__________________
sue- knitting heretic

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
teresab (10-06-2011)
Old 10-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
Daylilydayzed
Turning the Heel
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida, lightning capital of the US
Posts: 609
Thanks: 108
Thanked 190 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by teresab View Post
I want to make an afghan but need to increase the stitch count since I don't want to use big needles (17). It's Leisure Arts "Big Book of Quick Knit Afghans, pg 12, "Comfy" (basketweave). It looks like the multiple is 8 which is included in (), but when I go to do the math, I can't figure it out. It has a 12 st border on each edge. I want to use Size 10.5 needles which gives me 3.25 sts per in. and patt calls for 2.25 sts per in. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Teresa
I have this book and I made the same pattern. I used Bernat Satin and a size 7 needle. I made into a big baby blanket.Here is the correct multiple 8 +3. I will give you some hints, 1. Use stitch marker to separate the border stitches from the pattern stitch. 2.Use a row counter that slips on your needle . 3. Never put it down with out finishing the row you are working on. 4.If you have to stop for any reason, take another row counter and slip on the front of your work with the next row number to be knitted. 5. Leave the row counter with the just worked row on the needle. 6. On a couple of rows in to the pattern stitch. you will use on of the border stitches to even up the stitch pattern. Do not worry about it, the pattern was written that way and it really does work. Hope this helps you.
__________________
Daylilies are the Lord's smiles, a new one every day.
Daylilydayzed is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daylilydayzed For This Useful Post:
teresab (10-06-2011)
Old 10-06-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
teresab
Ribbing the Cuff
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 31
Thanks: 17
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks
Originally Posted by Daylilydayzed View Post
I have this book and I made the same pattern. I used Bernat Satin and a size 7 needle. I made into a big baby blanket.Here is the correct multiple 8 +3. I will give you some hints, 1. Use stitch marker to separate the border stitches from the pattern stitch. 2.Use a row counter that slips on your needle . 3. Never put it down with out finishing the row you are working on. 4.If you have to stop for any reason, take another row counter and slip on the front of your work with the next row number to be knitted. 5. Leave the row counter with the just worked row on the needle. 6. On a couple of rows in to the pattern stitch. you will use on of the border stitches to even up the stitch pattern. Do not worry about it, the pattern was written that way and it really does work. Hope this helps you.
Thanks for the useful tips. Did you by chance knit any of the other patterns in this book? And, did you just use a single strand of worsted yarn? I will be using chunky weight wool and have purchased 1,920 yds hoping I'll have enough given that I'll be knitting a tighter gauge than is called for.
teresab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
Daylilydayzed
Turning the Heel
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida, lightning capital of the US
Posts: 609
Thanks: 108
Thanked 190 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by teresab View Post
Thanks for the useful tips. Did you by chance knit any of the other patterns in this book? And, did you just use a single strand of worsted yarn? I will be using chunky weight wool and have purchased 1,920 yds hoping I'll have enough given that I'll be knitting a tighter gauge than is called for.
I haven't made any other patterns from the book. I used just one strand of yarn and it turned out just fine. I did cast on more stitches than it said to since my yarn was smaller. My daughter bought 4 balls of the Bernat Satin yarn on clearance at Michaels. I thought that it wasn't going to be enough so I bought two more balls of it. I used 5 and 3/4 of the last ball.What was left was not enough to make something with so I use it fro practicing pattern stitches of different kinds of stitches.

My daughter used the blanket I made as a baby shower gift and when it was pulled out of its gift bag, my daughter said the family members of the pregnant girl went gaga over the blanket. They thought it was machine made. My daughter told them it was hand knit, she should know she bought most of the yarn. It was a little bigger than a regular baby blanket because the mother wanted one to be big enough to go onto a toddler bed. I hope that the info I gave you helps . Just trust the pattern instructions and it will turn out just fine.
__________________
Daylilies are the Lord's smiles, a new one every day.
Daylilydayzed is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daylilydayzed For This Useful Post:
teresab (10-06-2011)
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
help with multiples please gcgrammy How-to Questions 7 07-18-2011 06:40 AM
Even No. st Patterns - difference between multiples of 2 and multiples of 4 + 2 TrueIconoclast General Knitting 9 05-17-2011 08:58 AM
Multiples of ten? DeEtta How-to Questions 4 06-30-2009 05:16 PM
Multiples of 14 + 1 drstratton How-to Questions 17 01-28-2009 12:34 PM
multiples of ? sts plus ? silegose How-to Questions 2 12-02-2008 07:33 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:01 PM.